No peaches this year

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I guess this cold Spring has something good in it after all. I snapped the little Johnathan apple tree trying to straighten it 3 years ago. It had a sucker and I decided to let THAT grow, tieing it to the dead tree. THIS spring it has about 3 groups of flowers on it. Don't have ANY IDEA what the root stock is, just that it's some kind of apple. Since my really old GD apple tree is dead, I'm gonna let this one grow.
Sorry about your loss. I got NO fruit at all in 2012.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine a summer without peaches. :( If the orchards have been affected by this too, they'll be selling for somewhere around $45 a bushel, if you can get your hands on them fast enough.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Journey. Hopefully the Georgia orchards didn't get hit too hard. I hope to never see another winter like that one.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My peach tree only has 2 peaches on it this year too. It is young, but bore about 10 peaches last year, huge amount considering it was it's first year in the ground.

My apples are loaded this year though.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that I remember a few years back all the orchards were burning pallets stacked pretty high and using cattle fans to help fight the frost that was devastated the crop. I feel for everybody here suffering through this.