Noir des carmes cantaloupe

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is good information to know. I planted Crenshaw melons and after just sitting there and doing nothing, they decided to grow and are spreading out and blooming. I will try to strike a balance between over watering ( impossible to do in my pure sand soil and Texas heat) and the vines curling up their toes from drought. I am just thrilled they are growing, if I actually get a melon it will put me over the moon!
You can give the plants lots of water till the fruit are about 7-10 days away from ripening then hold back as much as possible without killing the plants.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can give the plants lots of water till the fruit are about 7-10 days away from ripening then hold back as much as possible without killing the plants.
I have been getting good rain every week so far but I will use your advice if it gets dry.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been getting good rain every week so far but I will use your advice if it gets dry.
Rain early on is fantastic but towards the end approaching harvest time it is the biggest nemesis I have here.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too much rain in the South. Is that the reason I haven't had one really good cantaloupe yet this year? Perhaps now that our locally grown produce is hitting the markets that will change.