Non GMO bandwagon picking up steam.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fighting GMOs isn't going to be accomplished by initiatives on ballots. There is too much big corporate money to fight when going that route. Since the institution of the Non GMO Certification Program however we seem to be making some dents in corporate armor. Kashli products has always portrayed itself as selling healthy food by using the weasel words "all natural' (which means nothing.) That tactic began to lose them money when they were held up to the light by so many online posters. They have now announced a goal of 50% non GMO products by 2014. Many of their products already carry the non GMO sticker. Look for that Non GMO sticker and buy the products that display it. The best way to fight GMOs is to show food companies that they can make money by dropping GMOs. It isn't just a gimmic. They have to pass stringent tests before they can display the seal. Whole Foods Market is already on board, having commited to switch over to all non GMO foods by 2015.
http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/news/whole-foods-market-commits-to-full-gmo-transparency
6858_non_gmo.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope they are successful. They could be 100% if they would spend the $$$$. The differenc it costs them is cents vs. the dollars spent on advertising, corporate salaries/benefits, and packaging.

It will reshape America in more ways than any of you realize.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
According to Whole Foods one of the reasons they can't go 100% yet is that there just aren't enough non GMO farms around to fill the demand for them. Although non GMO and organic are not necessarily the same thing organic farmers are the main source of supply for non GMO products. All through the Midwest the farms with the best topsoil are being farmed with GMO methods, mostly corn and soybeans, leaving organic farmers to farm less desirable places where big ag isn't viable.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They can get all the non-GMO products they want. It'll cost them $1 more to get it on corn, $2 on beans. They just don't want to pay for it. Sound familiar?

It's out there, they have to look, I know of bins full of non-GMO corn. Excuses.

I'll get back later as to changes it will make in American Ag.

Tell them to contact me, I'll line them up with more corn/beans than they want--all non-GMO. Not organic--different subject.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're right. Organic means it isn't GMO by definition but it doesn't work both ways. Non GMO doesn't mean chemicals in the form of fertilizers and sprays weren't used. It simply means the plants weren't grown from GMO seed. The Non GMO Project is a foot in the door though.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
You're right. Organic means it isn't GMO by definition but it doesn't work both ways. Non GMO doesn't mean chemicals in the form of fertilizers and sprays weren't used. It simply means the plants weren't grown from GMO seed. The Non GMO Project is a foot in the door though.
I support non-GMO. It's organic I have the problems with. Both in theory and in reality. Chemicals are chemicals.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
But that supposes that the chemists who put the fertilizer formulas together know everything there is to know about plant nutrition. I really doubt that's so. An organic farmer only needs to know the basic elements and supply them along with plenty of organic matter and Nature takes it from there. Chemical farmers soil is almost sterile so Nature can do nothing to correct any minor imbalances.