Non-uniform Pea Pods

wiswash

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This year I planted Sugar Daddy Peas from Burpee. The plants look healthy but the pods are weird. I get a lot of pods that are fat and short with 1-3 fat, mature peas. Other pods look plump, thick and mature but the peas inside are not mature. I have yet to find the classic, well formed pods with seven nice peas. All the pods are thick and hard to split, regardless of the maturity of the pea. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My snap peas started doing that, when it got hot and dry. I am not sure where you are - but peas are cool weather crops. Usually spring and fall.

wiswash

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, I am in zone 4 too, Wisconsin. Overall, it hasnt been too hot and dry here, but the past 3 weeks been 80s and a few 90s. Next year I will have to try a different brand, could be the breed. So, if my first frost is around October 1 then maybe I can plant some on July 1 and hope for a respectable crop.? Does this sound like a good plan to try?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
80's and 90's is way too hot for peas... I haven't planted my second crop, yet. I'll probably wait until August. Peas will survive quite a bit of frost. If I were you I would go ahead and try again for fall. Good luck!