Northern CA

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Almanorigo! You will love this site. Lucky you, that has those raised beds already in place. Now, all you have to do is add compost before planting. Sounds like you have plenty of space for a big garden with fruit trees.

Steve and Marshall, I had heard of Lake Almanor but couldn't place it. Thanks for the detailed location!

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Almanorigo! :thumbsup This is a great site for beginning gardeners, large area gardeners, small space gardeners, well-seasoned gardeners, and anyone wanting gardening help or wanting to share gardening experiences.

Sounds like just the place for you! You even get "near neighbors" -- I am not one of those -- who can give advice based upon you growing in much the same conditions ... a big plus as you start developing your garden.

Happy to have you join the TEG family.:thumbsup

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I don't live near the water. I am actually in town. We do have a house at the Peninsula but there we just have some bulbs, and Burberry.

Jumping right in, full on, would be the method to my madness. I have to remember I don't have a sprinkler system AT ALL, in any part of the yard. The house sits on about a half acre. It sat empty, in foreclosure, for almost 2 years. So..... the yard has A LOT of work to be done. I don't want to get carried away but I do want a few fruit trees, along with the veggies and herbs.

In the front yard, I have several bulbs popping up. I believe they are daffodils and tulips. My mom suggested pulling them up when they are finished and separating them, putting them back in but a bit further forward. They are coming up in big clumps. I will have to find out what to plant around them to keep it green (as best I can).

Looking forward to venturing around and learning as much as I can

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, almanorigo!
Jump right in, have fun! :frow

:frow

Hang on to your login stuff and come back often. For me, this forum is better than fb.

I'm with you, Marshall. I ditched my FB and all that craziness...it was cutting into my TEG time anyway. :D What little online time I have, I spend mostly here. And I hate to miss a day, because I get so far behind!

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just dug around my beds for a minute. Wanted to see if I could get into the ground. I CAN!!! Such a difference coming from hardpan! Found a few markers, Eggplant, Jalapenos, Pumpkin, Lavender (well, that was not a marker but I have a big clump) and Lupita(?, I will have to check that one again). Found a small bed that I didn't know was there. So, six raised beds on one side of the yard, two on the other. Shrubs that I have no idea what they are and Oregon Grape (Holly Barberry) coming up along the fence. Should be interesting...............

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Also very jealous that you can get a shovel through your ground!

Much better ground than we had!!! I doubt I will need to bring a bobcat in to dig holes! Thanks for telling me about this site!!! :celebrate