Not a good year for vegetable gardening

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I quit :barnie My garden is now under water.... :hit Friday night we had a terrible storm so much rain and of course it seems no storm in Colorado lately is complete with out a inch or two of hail. Yesterday we got more heavy rains and againthis afternoon heavy rains.
There is just nowhere for all the water to go. It has been so cool and wet nothing is really growing anyway, my bush beans were just starting to look like they may have survived the first hail storm. My potatoes and taters are alright foliage wise but I'm worried there is just too much water.
Well at least there should be enough green stuff to till under or put to the compost so next years soil will benefit. If it warms up and the rain backs off I may be able to salvage some squash :fl :fl , but I'm not holding out much hope.
Oh well on the bright side the prairie outside my front window is absolutly beautiful so green and lush :mow , my chickens are fat and happy and love all the prairie grass and bugs, the geese are happy too and my female is setting 5 eggs, so maybe I'll have goslings to cheer me up. I may try to put in some more dragon tongue seeds as I was so looking forward to them. I had planted some pole beans last week so perhaps they will come up.
Another good thing is there is probably a billion toads out in the various new ponds we now have and they lull me to sleep and a beautiful heron is coming in each morning and hunting so from all the bad there is some real beauty. :rainbow-sun

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My mother who lives in Colo Spgs. told me how much rain she has gotten lately. I believe that I speak for ALL of our fellow gardeners that our hearts are breaking for you; and, the fact, that it could happen to any one of us, around the country, too!!

I'm in MN, and we keep PRAYING for rain! Every time they forecast rain, it either NEVER happens or we get rain that ends up being a waste of time!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
COgirl :frow

My heart goes out to you -- it's terrible to see all your hard work rot in front of your eyes. It happens to us all sometime -- we had a terrible wet summer last year (but luckily we don't have the heavy hail you have been going through).

Try to keep your spirits up. We are sending positive thoughts to you & big hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun :coolsun
:coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your garden loss. Isnt that strange, we are at least 3 inches into a mini drought situtation here in Houston and yall have more rain that you want. Weird.

Mjd

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for all the sweet thoughts. I'm trying to stay positive, because there just isn't anything you can do about the weather gotta roll with the punches or the hail....

Last year we had no rain until August and very hot temps and a couple years before that we were suffering a drought and I would much rather be on this side of it drowned garden or not.

Just saw the 7 day forcast and it may be starting to dry out and warm up after tomorrow but heavy rains/hail possible today. So in the meantime I'll just enjoy my new ponds and the toads and the heron.
Texan I'll try to send all this wet down your way, but just the wet no hail.
Everybody have a great day :rainbow-sun :happy_flower

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here it gets dry and then dumps 3-3 1/2 inches of rain on us. One extreme to the other but, at least my garden gets a chance to dry out in between. I feel for you as there's not much you can do when everything is wet. :hugs

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very frustrating, and disheartening when weather creates havoc for a gardener..but..

Imagine the poor Homesteaders from years gone by. When they suffered weather such as you have been getting, and didn't eat!

It's like the story, " I cried that I had no shoes, till I met a man that had no feet".

Hopefully, you will be able to salvage some plants, and perhaps the upcoming warm spell will revive others, that you felt were lost.:)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really wish I could relate. I too have had a bit of difficulty with my garden, especially with a lack of sprouting.

Our last good rain was in November; this would mean rain actually falling in my yarden, because it has rained here, it only skirts around my property and drops it elsewhere. About the only thing that I may have, as a result of this, is a bit more humidity.

Last night we got so close. The clouds turned blackened, they moved through with a vengeance; I could actually see the rain beginning to fall in sheets. As the rain neared our heads it lifted right back up into the clouds and dissipated. Again, the humidity was horrendous; my swamp coolers just do not work when the humidity begins to rise. By evening there was not a cloud in the sky for miles. Where is my rain?

As for my gardens, well this month my water bill exceeded my electric bill if that is any consolation. I utilized 20,000 gallons in the month of May to June, and yet my gardens are parched and waiting for me now to get out there and quench them.

Well, I do hope I managed to cheer you up :D

It is such an odd thought that I could actually drive from my house to yours in a day.

Hoping the sun shines your way and dries things out.

Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:hit :hit :hit I'm so sorry! I'm praying for sun and warmth for you ASAP. :coolsun It may not be too late in the season to replant some things... it may not be a total lose. :D :throw Come on fresh happy garden vibes!!!

I know you will overcome :weight You will have a GREAT garden eventually. :happy_flower I'm sorry about this horrid weather, we've had massive rain too, and its not killed too much... but it has caused disease in my veggie beds. :hit

I'm so sorry sweety.... :hugs

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do think about what it must have felt like in years gone by to know that winter may be looking really bleak at this point.
Greensage, it was like that when we had the drought here, you could see the rain and lighting and hope it got close enough to do something but it would go away usually leaving high drying winds in its wake
I took some pics this morning of the benefits from the rain, hope you all enjoy pics of some of my "kids" enjoying the prairie.

Gonna go and checkout the new watering hole
5005_100_1561.jpg

Looking east from the back patio
5005_100_1545.jpg

Looking northeast
5005_100_1535.jpg

My boys Boomer the Aussie and Bailey the Golden
5005_100_1556.jpg

Louie soon to be proud papa (I hope)
5005_100_1555.jpg

Boy there are some good bugs on the buffet this morning!!
5005_100_1558.jpg

Thanks again for all the good thoughts they are working when I checked on the corn the pole beans I planted last week have started sprouting :weee :weee you guys are really awesome :hugs :hugs :hugs to you all

Latest posts