Not a good year for vegetable gardening

GreenGoddess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in Lakewood. Our garden is so far behind schedule this year with this crazy weather! I am still putting out more plants though. Let's hope for a long Fall.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you may want to plan some raised beds for next year just in case you get more of the same ...We have been extreemly lucky so far I actually got everything planted early this year and have been getting about 2 days of rain a week...my chickens dont like it much but my tomatoes are thriving...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden can sometimes experience a "Puget Sound" spring - then it will turn hot and dry.

June of 'o8 was one of the worse for cool, cloudy and wet weather. The leafy greens did wonderfully. Melon varieties that had done well for years, died. Peppers and eggplants finished out the season stunted. The summer squash were the same way but, unlike the melons, I at least got some fruit from these plants.

What really, really surprised me was that I had a bountiful tomato patch - bumper crop! There were some plants where it was difficult to see stems and leaves, they were covered, overburdened with fruit! We're talking nice, BIG beefsteaks!
Tomatoes often have trouble ripening in my garden but getting past the cool weather early just didn't seem to hurt the 'maters :idunno.

Gardening is an act of faith.

Steve

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all
Went out to the gardens this morning and all is not lost by a long shot. Since the taters havent bloomed yet I should be ok there (I think) and the maters were of course protected by walls o water although some of the tops that were poking out are stripped by the hail. The bush beans look really rough and I lost quite a few of them, but put in more seed. My 3 sisters garden actually looks pretty good, corn is pretty ragged looking but alive and purple pole beans are sprouting. Various squash and pumpkins that were already up, still not sure about. We are suppose to be getting high winds today but since it is almost always windy on the prairie no biggie.

GreenGoddess, I'm with you hoping for a long warm fall which we can and do get here in CO. In normal years things would be beautiful in the gardens by now.

Steve I hope my tomatoes will do well this is my first year growing heirlooms, if I get 1 mater from each plant I'll be happy this year :)

I am going to harvest all my poor bruised spinach this morning and spend the day making spinach pasta hopefully I can comeup with enough in good shape that I can make a big batch and freeze some.

Have a wonderful day all, I am sending calm, warm gardening thoughts to you all :rainbow-sun

Latest posts