~" Not Just Another Load Of Crap"~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I am just getting my raised beds ready for planting so my mind is firmly fixed on manure & compost........ :idunno ......of course I don't have enough. So I was pleased when this morning the following article was in my email box. When I read it I was laughing a lot but it does contain a lot of useful links to the area of human waste along with that of the dogs & cats we live so closely with.

I hope it proves to be as useful to you as it has to me, as well as making you smile.......:D The article is from the wonderful blog of Granny Miller.

http://homesteadgardenandpantry.com/agrarian-life/not-just-another-load-of-crap/

Roll on Spring & Summer.....!!! :coolsun

Hattie

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hahahaha....Call me "old fashion", but I'm kinda fickle about meat eater waste in my compost and garden. And since I don't, personally, know any vegans or vegetarians that I can convince to "go" in a bag......

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with Boggy on that. I don't have a problem with meat eater manure compost going in landscaping beds or on non-edible products. I wouldn't have a problem with using it on some fruit trees such as cherries where the fruit does not hit the ground. But I do have a problem using it on edibles where the edible part could come into contact with it. I can't think of much in my garden that meets that criteria. Maybe sweet corn.

Another issue, and I think this comes into it quite a bit for me, is that not all compost is created equal. I pile mine up, turn it a few tiimes, cover it to keep the chickens from scattering it all over the place and keep some moisture in, and compost it. Not all parts are totally completely turned into compost. My turning is not that good. If you use a composting method that turns every tiny bit into compost, that might be different, but that is not my world.

I was in Korea many years ago in the army during the spring thaw. I assure you the stuff that went on the fields was not composted first. It only took a few weeks for the smell to go away, but it was certainly strong when the thaw hit.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just saw a book that came out you may like, it had good reviews, and I saw a snippet of the book in Mother Earth Mag yesterday. Its called "Holy Sh*t" by Gene Logsdon.

I'm thinking of getting a copy.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I just saw a book that came out you may like, it had good reviews, and I saw a snippet of the book in Mother Earth Mag yesterday. Its called "Holy Sh*t" by Gene Logsdon.

I'm thinking of getting a copy.
Ya made my morning!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Apparently, he uses a lot of humor in the book so it is as entertaining as it is eductaional. I'll be picking up a copy soon. :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I would be a bit iffy on the this type of compost.... I don't know how I could get it into the bucket?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lol...

I prefer to just use the chicken, duck or horse poo. You won't be getting any.... manure.... from me! :lol: