Not Only Alive But Flowering

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love Dogwood trees, I had plans to pepper my woods with them. I planted 6 they all died. I tried many times after, all with the same result death. I gave up on having Dogwood trees, mocking me was the fact that everywhere around me they flourished . Seemed like every other yard had them in their landscape. Last fall when big box store marked their trees clearance,I figured one more try. I picked up 3 dogwoods, this time I tried a experiment and planted them almost on top of soil. This spring when the 3 leafed out I was so happy. Last night I noticed one had several small flowers. I think my heavy clay was not giving them enough drainage. I might just pick up a few more this fall.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's great! I love Dogwood, too. They grow wild in the woods around my property, but they are very spindly. I planted two in our front yard about 18 years ago almost under the huge pine trees that line the front of my property. They have grown and created an arch between them where I have a small stone bench.

Dogwoods like well drained, acidic soil, at least mine do, and they like the protection of other trees.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised, since we have them all over the place here and we have clay too. A wild cultivar may perform better for you. We have them everywhere here, but they really do proliferate themselves in the higher elevations and especially in association with tulip poplars and ash, so it may be a soil pH thing.

Consider getting yourself some redbuds too, if you don't already have them growing naturally. They bloom at the same time as the dogwoods and really make for a breathtaking sight in early spring.

AGPix_RoAnSi18_0812_Lg.jpg

(pic from Google)

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I second the Redbuds. Gorgeous trees, not only the buds, but the leaves, the multiple trunks and the flowing branches. I have one also planted in the front yard. It's hard to mow around since it spreads out and has low branches, so I created a hostas garden underneath it with a staue in the middle.

I should take a pic of it and post it.

Beautiful pic @journey11 !

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted several redbuds I love them, mine are seed grown so can take years to flower. I gave my friend Kristine a grafted one for her birthday. Being grafted it flower that spring, she sent me a email, if she ever sold her house she was taking tree with her. I have a purple leaf weeping redbud, amazing tree. Top half got winter killed last year, big disappointment !!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm surprised, since we have them all over the place here and we have clay too. A wild cultivar may perform better for you. We have them everywhere here, but they really do proliferate themselves in the higher elevations and especially in association with tulip poplars and ash, so it may be a soil pH thing.

Consider getting yourself some redbuds too, if you don't already have them growing naturally. They bloom at the same time as the dogwoods and really make for a breathtaking sight in early spring.

AGPix_RoAnSi18_0812_Lg.jpg

(pic from Google)
Absolutely beautiful picture. I love those trees, they grow wild all over here, they are gorgeous, I always look forward to them blooming.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted several redbuds I love them, mine are seed grown so can take years to flower. I gave my friend Kristine a grafted one for her birthday. Being grafted it flower that spring, she sent me a email, if she ever sold her house she was taking tree with her. I have a purple leaf weeping redbud, amazing tree. Top half got winter killed last year, big disappointment !!

The purple leafed redbuds are more tender than the green. The top half that died was the weeping graft. But it should send suckers up from the roots which will be the regular redbud.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't take the pic, found it online, but it could be any WV backroad in spring. :)

Latest posts