Not ready to give up on 'maters yet

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I gave up on the almost 60 tomato plants that we planted at the beginning of the growing season. Seems nothing I do is helping the bulk of them. So this weekend my lovely hubby built me 2 new raised beds where I'm planning to do all my gardening next year and I planted 9 tomato plants in 1 of them. I picked up 3 Hillbilly, 3 Arkansas Traveler and 3 Oxhart plants at the plant tent up the road. I only paid $.25 each for them. They are about 12-18" tall. They are nestled nicely in the bed with their little tomato cages and a thick layer of straw. Hopefully we can get something from these plants. I'm walking the line on going back tomorrow and picking up 9 more. Maybe pasta sauce isn't totally outta the question now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best of Luck!

Here is a little lament I just shared with someone who has a tomato garden recovering from a hailstorm:

There were 48mph winds (at least) thru my garden on the 12th. The entire day was pounding, pounding, pounding!!! Yesterday morning, the tomato patch had that gray-green look of damage . . .

I didn't even go over there.

The plants had been growing so well after all the cold (and wind) here. After another unseasonably cool day, the warmth has now returned. I hope they can tough their way out of it but if these tomato plants get sick, it won't be a surprise. Will check on them in the morning.

Sometimes it is best to just keep the pace and move ahead, devil take the hindmost, and all that . . .

There are 60 plus plants in that patch, also. They went thru too early sowing because we were having a remarkably warm winter. Then, when I tried to slow the growth down after it became obvious that they couldn't go into the garden early, or even on time - I changed them from a heated greenhouse to a cool plastic tunnel. There was frost outside that morning and 38 in that tunnel - too much for the tender things. Many dropped their leaves, some didn't recover.

Of those that did, 60+ went out into the garden (finally) where we promptly had record cold temperatures, more nights of frost, days and nights under buckets, sprinklers running - some plants died, others damaged. Days of wind, clouds, and cold . . .

It finally warms up and another windstorm comes thru!

These poor things :/!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Showme...Hillbillies are my favorite heirloom! This is my second year that I'm attempting to grow them. Last year I only had 1 plant and I got only a few tomatoes. This year 's plant doesn't look like it's going to produce much either .

At .25 a piece, I sure would get a bunch. I wish we had those kind of prices out here. Good luck with this new crop. All we can do is keep on trying. :)

Mary

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I actually haven't totally given up on the original 60. I have about 10 or so romas that aren't really doing too bad. If I'm lucky enough to catch the fruit. Whatever affected the plants is also giving me trouble with most of the fruit. I also seem to have a coon hanging out down there. It left a footprint and 1/2 eatten tomato on hubby's tractor seat.

This morning I went back to the plant tent and picked up 3 more plants Cherokee Purple. This plant tent has the best plants in the early spring. Before I started all my own I would buy all my stuff from her. It's always nice and healthy. The toms that I bought this week have a nice white color to the roots. I was going to fill the other bed with 'maters too, but last night I decided to go ahead and throw in some 63 days sweet corn.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had a terrible time with squash and I planted them again this week. So keep trying I am not giving up until everything turn brown outside.

Latest posts