. . . not the most "motivated" person in the world

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, it is partly age. Shouldn't admit to infirmity but there's that also. Does talking about what you are "gonna" do motivate you?

- Ramble, ramble -

I've always admired artists. I am sure that some folks look at artists and think that they are people who can live and even thrive without much success in life. Even geniuses like Van Gogh and Mozart died penniless. Someone once said that artists are just "camping here amongst us" in that their existence is often so tenuous. Still, they work. I am sometimes left wondering what motivates them.

I refused to buy a television when I was young but what finally motivated me was the chance to watch artists create their art. Of course, I also wanted to see some of the other things but then I bought a VCR claiming that I was "gonna" use it record those how-to shows and learn how to paint. Buy, buy, watch, watch . . . never recorded a single episode of Bill Alexander's or Bob Ross' art shows. Never painted a thing.

One infirmity is hearing loss. So, for the last 20 years, I've "read" TV captioning. That may give someone a different perspective on the how-to shows. One thing, I find it a little difficult to read and look at the same time. An artist's show is usually fairly slow paced however. So, I can usually do both, not "troubling" by joining in with the brush strokes.

One thing that I notice is the use of words by these folks and "gonna" is one of the most common: "I'm gonna turn the brush like this . . .""Next, I'm gonna mix a little of this color . . ."

You know, using a word like "gonna" helps motivate us. It is like "fixin'" - which I've learned is quite common with some parts of the population: "I'm fixin' to move that brush and plant a garden there." Yeah, words like that - future tense - they help motivate us.

Dream, Create . . . "I'm gonna take those boards and build . . ." Here is a new guy I'm watching create his paintings on teevee: Stefan Baumann (link). He sure uses "gonna" a lot but I really enjoy seeing what he can create.

One thing talking about doing does for me is push me into a commitment. Does talking about what you are "gonna" do, motivate you?

Steve

Edited to add this link to Stefan Baumann's online gallery with some lovely paintings (link)!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me it depends on just who I tell I'm gonna do something to. Some people take you literally!

If I want to be held accountable and not embarrass myself I can tell certain friends.

If I'm just making noise I tell my family. They usually don't roll their eyes in my presence. :rolleyes:

One thing that just frustrated me to death in the early years of our marriage was when my husband would say "I should ____..."
which usually referred to some improvement or repair. Well, there I was thinking that meant he was gonna do it. As in soon.

I am much more realistic these days. ;) Not to mention patient!

In the real world I find that I'm motivated by deadlines. And panic is a real motivator too!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
. . . In the real world I find that I'm motivated by deadlines. And panic is a real motivator too!
Yes, I've benefited greatly that way. Without clocks and calendars, I'd image myself just winding down to nothing. Still, there is that sun up in the sky and thinking about this sort of thing may just be a reflection of how the year is quickly playing itself out. I might not even have thought of this subject if it was February instead of November. Honestly, I might not have had enuf energy to think of it in September . . .

My wife falls for the same sort of thing, Thistle'. One of my excuses has always been that she showed no interest initially in whatever I was outlining as a possibility. Now, my own interest has waned. Yeah, the "honeydew list" is a great motivator. I'm not sure if I'd have it any other way.

;) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH has to be the most self-motivated man I've ever known. If I figure out how to post pictures I can show some of his recent efforts. Fortunately for me, I could watch that man work and never get bored. Self-motivated? Me? M-m-mm not so much.

One summer he cleared the field to the west - now rented out as farm land.

The next summer he cleared the gully out back . . . . after I hired someone to push down a ridge of trees that shaded out my grassy area. Not only did he have to push through 30 years of brush, bramble, and naturally fallen trees, he had to manage the 20 or so trees my "Bobcat Guy" pushed down there.

This summer he has been clearing the woods between the gully and the yard. All of these projects he's done with two hand tools - a grub-hoe and a shovel. Once the trees are dug out he will saw them up for firewood, but he doesn't want the stumps left. Yesterday - I check on him often - I watched him load and push 23 wheel barrow loads of brush and small branches from the woods up to the burning pile. Amazing guy!

Quite an effort at any age, IMHO!

Latest posts