Novelty Vegetable Seeds and Seed Trading

Would you be interested in doing a seed exchange?

• Total voters

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!

Just a Michigander slowly emerging from hibernation! Back on TEG for my 2nd season.

There are a couple of questions I have for anyone/everyone.

First, I don't have a lot of gardening real estate to work with and have gotten big into container gardening actually. I like variety, and only grow 2-3 of the same vegetable plants (at most). I've been seeing some questionable, yet intriguing seed packets show up on different sites. Yes, I'm absolutely skeptical of them for starters. However, what's the worst that could happen? They don't grow? I've seen these black tomatoes and various other multi-colored, weird veggies that I would love to give a try. They come from overseas, mostly, and odds are slim that they even germinate. Anyone have any experience with these sorts of "novelty" seeds?

Secondly, similar to the above statement(s) about my limited space and prioritizing variety, I rarely use all the seeds that come in a seed packet. Is there some type of thread/forum where we can trade or exchange seeds? I would love to get with a group of people and send over what I have in exchange for any surplus that they have. To me, gardening is just experimentation that you can eat. Would love to test out some of your guys' favorites, or just "leftovers" in exchange for mine.

At any rate, curious for some feedback and ultimately overjoyed that Spring is almost here (yes, even way up here in the Mitten). If you've done a seed exchange in the past and looking to show a youngin' the ropes and logistics, please reach out!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i am not much into novelty vegetables and only a few am i currently looking for but i'm always interested in trading beans or just sending things out to people if they need 'em.

i'm not sure how far you might be from Midland but the seed swap held there a few weeks ago probably would have been fun for you. :) i hope to make it back next year.

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh wow! I'm more near Metro Detroit, so maybe will have to be on the lookout for something at Eastern Market. I, by no means, "need" seeds. I like to try to grow things I've never grown before purely out of curiosity. I'll have about a dozen different types of plants this year, but may use 6-10 seeds from each packet. A seed swap seems like something I absolutely need to be on the lookout for!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite tomatoe is a black one called Japanese Black Trifele. It has a smoky flavor that I love in my salsa. It's a must grow for me.

Most of my seeds are from Baker Creek. If there is one that you might be interested in let me know so I can check to see if I have it.

Mary

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
20190311_174940.jpg

This one I'm looking at looks to be called Black Cherry Russian. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that one, Japanese Black Trifele! Seems very versatile with great flavor.

I'm looking for something that is kinda odd, that I'm not familiar with. Possibly something that may excel in container gardening. Of course, love my tomatoes and peppers! Looking to also branch out from my comfort zone. I don't want to mooch, so really just trying to set up a little exchange. Unsure of how the logistics would go, but I'm looking to send some of my surplus off too!

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had two buckets of surplus. I planted broccoli seeds from 2012, looks like I’m getting a pretty good return. Almost all my seeds this year are old, trying to use up what I have. We are keeping the grands, I’ll look in a few days and see what I have that isn’t old.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite tomatoe is a black one called Japanese Black Trifele. It has a smoky flavor that I love in my salsa. It's a must grow for me.

Most of my seeds are from Baker Creek. If there is one that you might be interested in let me know so I can check to see if I have it.

Mary

oh my that sounds delicious. i wish i could try it but i'm not eating many tomatoes these days unless in emergency situations like we have bacon, fresh made bread and mayo that magically appears along with the ripe beefsteaks... i love smoky hints in things.

Latest posts