Oaises in the high desert new member

Marciaminer

Sprout
Reaction score
My fruit trees are all in bloom 2 months two early any good ideas on how to delay early budding for next year? We are at 4600 ft in a high desert by Zions park, I get apples and pears but my nuts, peaches, necterines, plumbs, apracots are non productive, the orchard is 4 years old and are full and healthy tress but early bloom has lost all the fruit on the pit fruit. So frustrating. Any ideas?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow @Marciaminer :welcome
I can not help but know there are some members that live in similar conditions. Hopefully they will stop by and offer suggestions.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Marciaminer! :frow

The fruit trees you named as not producing are all susceptible to late frosts killing buds. I'm not sure what you would do about that, I know commercial orchardists have ways of dealing with unexpected frosts.

There are a few varieties that will bloom later and may miss the late spring frosts, but it will take some researching to figure out what will work in your specific area. Do you have any trusted local nurseries that can advise you?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome Marciaminer!

What's the area like where your fruit trees are planted? On top of a hill, south-facing slope, at the bottom of a hill? I think that planting on a south-facing slope is usually the recommended way to do it, but you'd want to plant on top of a hill to avoid frost. I'm not an expert myself. @Ridgerunner maybe?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather is so extreme out there. Does anyone else around you grow stone fruit? any commercial orchards? It could be that you just can't grow those there due to the variations in high and low temps during the day.
Welcome, though, and I don't know anything about growing things in Utah, so take my words with a grain of.....sand?

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I live in high desert, although not as high as you. My first stone fruits came from a nursery an hour south, and 1,000 feet lower in elevation. They did not require as many chill hours, and when the first warm spells hit they would be faked out and bloom before the next frost. I didn't get much fruit. They died in the last drought. I will replace them with stock from a nursery to the north, at a higher elevation, which carries trees needing higher chill hours. If you buy something from a big box store, chances are they chill hours will not be right for your location.

Latest posts