Oaises in the high desert new member

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My fruit trees are all in bloom 2 months two early any good ideas on how to delay early budding for next year? We are at 4600 ft in a high desert by Zions park, I get apples and pears but my nuts, peaches, necterines, plumbs, apracots are non productive, the orchard is 4 years old and are full and healthy tress but early bloom has lost all the fruit on the pit fruit. So frustrating. Any ideas?
I know nothing about your climate. Do others grow the trees that you are having trouble with? I would think you need specific varieties for your area. In Florida they use smudge pots to heat the area if the trees are in danger. I run a hose on veggies if I think they might freeze. A late freeze is a problem in any locale in any given year. I have lost all blueberries to early spring and then that one late frost in 2 different years. It happens. 4 years is still a very young orchard.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome from way up north in Montana! I can't give you any growing advice, but did want to say I love southern Utah and try and visit every year or two! Can't imagine the challenges you're facing with the extreme temperature swings.