Official Poll: What do you do during Winter?

What do you do to past time during winter while most of your garden is fast asleep?

• I give my houseplants the attention they deserve

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I spend extra time online <cough> TEG

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • I go on a tropical island vacation... I HATE COLD!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I curl up, hibernate, & "wait it out" until spring time

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I start enough seeds indoors to fill a nursery

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I compulsively plan out all the things I'm going to plant once I can go outside

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Something else (please reply to thread with more details)

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
brrrr.... it's cold outside! In many areas even too cold to really do much planting outside.

So, here's the big question: What do you do to past time during winter while most of your garden is fast asleep?

After you vote, reply to this thread with the reason why you voted the way you did.

If your answer isn't listed, please reply and let us know what it is.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I 'nest'.
Cleaning out closets, moving furniture, hanging (re-hanging) pictures, sometimes painting, de-cluttering (2 truckloads so far....)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, Cane' goes off to work.

I snoop on the neighbors here at home . . . & on TEG. It's gonna take me most of the winter to figure out how to quickly access everything on TEG so that I don't miss anything when I am busy during the summer (also known as, If I could Be Like Mike season).

7cb7bf46_zpsaeef79b3.gif

It will not be until about the last 4 weeks of winter when I will begin to "start enough seeds indoors to fill a nursery." Between then and now, I'll need to order those seeds!!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
1:I plan what to grow when spring comes
2: I spend more time on the computer
3: I work on sewing and crochet projects
4: I bake bread and generally use the oven a lot more than in summer
5: I work jigsaw puzzles that have to be left on the dining room table while in progress
6: I start on an exercise program that lasts about two weeks before I fizzle out.
7: I read
8: As a last resort, I may clean house.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
While most of my time is taken up plotting and planning for the next growing season and tending the boxes of seedlings started in the basement, there are other activities that finally get my attention.
1.) As so lucky said, I use the time to do all the cleaning that gets skipped when I'm outside. I will have my "Spring Cleaning" done well before the snow on the roof has melted.
2.) I also tend to "Guest Teach" at school more. My rule is not to call me between April 1 and November 1 unless it is raining, 'cuz I'm outside playing.
3.) Certainly more soup is made during the cold months. Baking bread is up, but nobody needs general baking -- least of all me. Besides, that's Gypsy's realm now.
4.) I have a good sized hill for sledding, and we all have snow shoes so we can get out and play even in the winter.
5.) Finally, there are long warm days spent in front of the fireplace doing needle work.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The hibernation thing...that's what I do on hot afternoons in summer. My hyperthyroid makes my body feel like it's cooking. Not a fever, but the cells are metabolising too fast.

My cabin gets hard to keep clean in winter no matter how many of those stomp pads are out the doors. There is just something about bringing in wood that is messy.

I definitely used to start enough seeds to supply a nursery during winter, even some got started in November, the Peppers. That is also the best time to start Pansies and some other things like Wave Petunias for baskets.

Yea, sometimes I dream of an island vacation in winter. Rarotonga comes to mind.

Then reality sets in. Toilets to thaw for the campers. How's that for a contrast? Or, SHOOT, I have a filter housing to replace.

This winter I kind of have a lot of seeds to rotate through.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to read, and there's never time in the growing/ working season. So between the end of November and about Marchish, depending on the snow, I dig into my book stash that I've been collecting for the winter.

There's still outside work to do, the animal pens to clean, and snow to move around, and I like to split firewood when dh isn't home to tell me to be careful. :D

And we take walks or snowshoe with the dogs or goats, or even the dogs AND goats, over in the State Park.

What I told myself all summer that I was for sure, definitely going to do this winter (for a change) was dejunk the house.
Wow Cane, 2 truckloads! You're my inspiration!

Of course since my face is usually glued to TEG this may all come off the rails and I'll just read here, and refill my ice cream bowl. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing for sure, when you have critters to tend to, you can't hole yourself up inside for very long. Sometimes when the weather is bad I don't appreciate having to tend to the chickens, especially first thing in the morning, but I always feel more alive after having been out in the "brisk" winter air.

Latest posts