Official Poll: What do you do during Winter?

What do you do to past time during winter while most of your garden is fast asleep?

• I give my houseplants the attention they deserve

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I spend extra time online <cough> TEG

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • I go on a tropical island vacation... I HATE COLD!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I curl up, hibernate, & "wait it out" until spring time

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I start enough seeds indoors to fill a nursery

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I compulsively plan out all the things I'm going to plant once I can go outside

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Something else (please reply to thread with more details)

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Thistle.... let's not think about how those 2 truckloads (and counting) of clutter got INTO the house to begin with.....
159.gif

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the winter I move much of my gardening indoors, and spend more time at the gym and reading, reading reading.

jackb

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me nothing much changes. I continue to garden and do all of my pruning. During the evenings I go to the gym, read every night, and watch a couple of my shows.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spend more time on (cough) TEG and SOMETHING ELSE!!

But not today! Or last Friday! Friday 1-24-2014, right here is southeast Texas, just a 2 hour drive from the Gulf of Mexico, we had SNOWMEGGEDON!! Yup! We had 2" of snow plus ICE!! :ep Being the warm weather idiots that we are, the speed demons had lots and lots of wrecks. I stayed home. :hide Schools closed, everything screeched to a dead stop. Snow bound. Crazy. BUT- the next day, the sun came out and it all melted and ran away! :weee Then Sunday, it was 70 degrees and beautiful!

I think Seedcorn had something to do with it.......he hates Southerners....

Then today, Tuesday, 1-28-2014---we had SLEET and ICE!!! :ep Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Houston shut down. The airport shut down. Schools all closed. News crews were ready.......for the MEGA-STORM that fizzled out before it slammed into Houston. It will be gone tomorrow.

It is all Seedcorn's fault. He did it. I know he is to blame. :gigIt must be those tomato pictures...... from the greenhouse......he got me back for it.

Normally, when Seedcorn isn't sending me winter storms, :lol: I work in my fall garden planting broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, green onions, turnips, mustard greens and collard greens. Then I pick and eat them all winter. I get compost piles ready. I cruise neighborhoods for bags of leaves to compost. I planted English peas in mid January, will plant potatoes in mid February.

I enjoy the sunshine, take walks, play with the dogs, enjoy the chickens.

It will be 21 degrees tonight, but be warm and sunny at 47 degrees tomorrow and warm up this week back to those 70 degree sunny days. Take THAT Seedcorn!! :plbb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HA!

Well, I should update my winter status by saying that I have finally gotten into exercising and doing some walking! Yes, I found the same 3 little videos Miranda posted on YouTube but now I have found her daughter's stuff!

Eccentrics Exercises, you can do that YouTube search. Wonderful . . . Now I'm a little sore . . .

I don't know. These ballerina stretches just seem to work well for this poor old, broken down guy. I just can't get down on the floor - the floor wins.

Walking, 1st attempt was nearly 3 miles. I rethought the wisdom of that about 2/3rds of the way through.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spend time growling about them dang southerners posting pix of their garden produce while I'm frozen up......

Winter for me is work, animal chores-not really a chore-and fighting with dog. I do spend more time online & thinking of projects I have to get done next spring/summer/fall. Too many are the same ones from year before. At my age with kids gone, if they get done great. If not, always next year. If they aren't done before I die, sue me. :plbb

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:celebrateMy winter time "something else" is crafting. MontyJ bought me a sewing machine for Christmas. I honestly think he did it on purpose so I would stay out of his way... :lol:
That's ok, because not only will I say with my hobby of crocheting, now I can add sewing and quilting to my list.

CyrixLord

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I live by Everett, Wa. I have put down cardboard to kill the grass to expand my garden. I staked them down with bamboo stakes so it will be easy to till. I ordered my seeds from Territorial because they don't use seeds from Monsanto. I planted my peppers as well. I like to start them early since we don't get a very long season. I also have a heated greenhouse 8x12 where I focus on my indoor hydroponics :) I have tomatoes and peppers going, as well as some nice herbs like arugela, cilantro, thai basil and even nappa cabage :) I grow Perillia for my Japanese neighbor and I because it is easy to clone and it is so fun to make sushi with and I have several pepper plants like yatzee and Giant Jalapeno that are fruiting now. I also have some fun cherry tomatos, and an assortment of orchids and carnivorous plants that I use in the summer to keep the bugs down. Now is the time where the greenhouse rainwater vault fills up as well with all the rain. next month: plant tomatos inside and begin to improve on my outdoor hydroponics system :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live by Everett, Wa. I have put down cardboard to kill the grass to expand my garden. I staked them down with bamboo stakes so it will be easy to till. I ordered my seeds from Territorial because they don't use seeds from Monsanto. I planted my peppers as well. I like to start them early since we don't get a very long season. I also have a heated greenhouse 8x12 where I focus on my indoor hydroponics :) I have tomatoes and peppers going, as well as some nice herbs like arugela, cilantro, thai basil and even nappa cabage :) I grow Perillia for my Japanese neighbor and I because it is easy to clone and it is so fun to make sushi with and I have several pepper plants like yatzee and Giant Jalapeno that are fruiting now. I also have some fun cherry tomatos, and an assortment of orchids and carnivorous plants that I use in the summer to keep the bugs down. Now is the time where the greenhouse rainwater vault fills up as well with all the rain. next month: plant tomatos inside and begin to improve on my outdoor hydroponics system :)
Hi, Cyrix! sounds like you have a head start on many of us here. Everett usually doesn't get the horrible cold, does it? Just kinda chilly/rainy? You will find like-minded gardeners here, regarding the avoidance of GMOs. On one of the threads about seed catalogs, SeedObsessor gave us a big list of good seed catalogs. You might want to check there just for fun and variety. Use the "search" feature to find past postings on favorite catalogs. Welcome to the TEG forum.

Latest posts