Official Poll: What do you do during Winter?

What do you do to past time during winter while most of your garden is fast asleep?

• I give my houseplants the attention they deserve

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I spend extra time online <cough> TEG

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • I go on a tropical island vacation... I HATE COLD!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I curl up, hibernate, & "wait it out" until spring time

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I start enough seeds indoors to fill a nursery

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I compulsively plan out all the things I'm going to plant once I can go outside

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Something else (please reply to thread with more details)

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well... here I am... online...again.:caf
I also spend a lot of time knitting. Mostly prayer shawls, but nothing fancy.
I would love to sit in front of a cozy fire, but DH replaced the old wood burning one to a gas one. Now the fan SQUEALS so loud you can't hear anything else. So we do no use it. :hit*sigh*
We do spend some time going over the BG pile of seed catalogs and dreaming. (Orders where sent this week.) Then DH will get busy stating seed (enough to fill a nursery.) :hu
What I hoped to do, and got a measly start on, was to purge the house and closets of unwanted and unused STUFF. Way to go Cane.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Cyrix! Good to have you growing with us. I have a brother in Bonney Lake, Washington, but I'm guessing you live in the far west of Washington state. I tried checking online, but my slow internet never did load your place properly. I am only 13 miles from Monroe myself.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have my seeds coming up in the green house right now. I am behind in everything already. I need to get the ground prepped. and I want to start bees this spring, so I need to clear out the old garden to trans plant all of the cuttings I stuck this last December... But it is wet and cold right now, so all I am really doing is anguishing about everything that needs to get done that isn't happening.
Down here if you miss the window it's over. It gets too hot too quick, The plants have to battle fungus and insects and I have to handle the heat and humidity.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As for my self, I do a lot of crocheting in the winter. Now I have a sewing machine so I make quilts :D (when I'm not crocheting of course) Monty J spends a lot of time looking out the back door wishing it was spring time again. :lol: This year I will probably spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make different things with my sewing machine.... and crochet.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow how did i miss this one..
what did you do over the winter...tormented @thistlebloom with freshly picked carrots all winter long.....:hugs

sCo_hmmthink.gif

.............plotting revenge......

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm on line a LOT, otherwise I'm crocheting, usually shawls, an occasional sweater but lately I'm working on a king size afghan, Although the last couple of weeks I've been collecting maple sap to make syrup. DH is really enjoying the process.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same here...animals keep one busy at times for winter but I try to make all my winter time chores as ergonomic as possible so as to get back to the stove in good time.

All winter is spent reading up on methods to improve animal husbandry, land or food production. We also nest and clean out, sort and organize to keep our lives less cluttered. We study, we read and we hibernate on some days.

A lot of time is wasted on these forums and some of it is not wasted at all, but merely more study, learning, planning via conversations and reading.

I also gather materials for projects by scanning the ads for free things to apply to the soil or use for building projects. Garden fencing and plots are drawn out, modified, planned and materials gathered to implement if the weather is conducive.

Deep litter is being produced in the coop for use in mulch in the spring, so tending that is also done in order to render it ready by spring for direct application, no waiting for anything to "mellow".

All in all we stay busy, plan for more ways to stay busy and also enjoy the fruits of what we have made all spring, summer and fall when we were busiest.

Latest posts