Official Poll: What do you do during Winter?

What do you do to past time during winter while most of your garden is fast asleep?

• I give my houseplants the attention they deserve

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I spend extra time online <cough> TEG

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • I go on a tropical island vacation... I HATE COLD!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I curl up, hibernate, & "wait it out" until spring time

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I start enough seeds indoors to fill a nursery

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I compulsively plan out all the things I'm going to plant once I can go outside

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Something else (please reply to thread with more details)

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the only time I'm not in the garden is thanksgiving through christmas. After Christmas the seed catalogs come out, I review what went wrong last year, and what I want to try to fix it this year. I add new things, and snow shoe around the yards with twine looking for my latest acquisition. By the time I've figured out what I'm doing and gotten my seeds it's usually late january/early february. Then if the soil isn't frozen I'm out their tilling and prepping the garden, adding compost, and weeding/breaking ground.

One time we built a raised garden bed during this time. :)

By the time I'm done with that it's time to start seeds, and then the garden is in full swing!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the only time I'm not in the garden is thanksgiving through christmas. After Christmas the seed catalogs come out, I review what went wrong last year, and what I want to try to fix it this year. I add new things, and snow shoe around the yards with twine looking for my latest acquisition. By the time I've figured out what I'm doing and gotten my seeds it's usually late january/early february. Then if the soil isn't frozen I'm out their tilling and prepping the garden, adding compost, and weeding/breaking ground.

One time we built a raised garden bed during this time. :)

By the time I'm done with that it's time to start seeds, and then the garden is in full swing!

I might be making jelly from frozen fruit around November and then Christmas I am thinking of presents and how much money I am going to need for seeds and then after the tree is down then I am buying seeds, looking at all the catalogs and on line shopping and starting seeds in January and Feb.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Tune our skis,inside, fix a tool, inside, hit the hot tub, outside, keep the fire going, listen, talk laugh, talk, eat with the family, some nights we watch a movie, keep the fire kicking, I might have a large brandy, come on line and see what you guys are doing, inside when it's cold outside and you're wondering what we're doing.

Richard

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time working on my 4 websites, eat a lot, shovel snow, eat a lot, watch TV, eat a lot, try new recipes, eat a lot, plan for next year, eat a lot and try and stay warm. I hate the winter! Did I mention that I eat a lot during the winter? o_O

Latest posts