Official Poll: What do you spend the most on in your garden?

What do you spend the most on in your garden?

• Plants and seeds

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Gardening tools

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Good soil and/or compost and/or fertilizer

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Landscaping

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Outdoor furniture and accessories

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Others

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Support

Deeply Rooted
Administrator
Reaction score
Admit it! We are all guilty of it! Sometimes, we do spend more money on our garden than we plan to. It just takes one little look at those cute and sturdy gardening tools and you MUST just have it. ;) Come on and share the products/tools/things that you spend more than you're supposed to.

Please take a minute to complete this poll and tell us what do you spend the most on in your garden. After voting, you can reply to this thread and expand on your reason.

If your answer isn't listed, you can vote for "Others" and reply to this thread with your answers.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably the biggest expense is tools. Just got a nifty walk behind weed whacker this summer. I love that thing!
Seeds and starts for the veg garden can add up, I probably spend way too much on potatoes because the ones I really want have to be shipped.

Then there's "landscaping" :rolleyes:. So far I seem to be the lone vote in that category...c'mon @Nyboy, I know you're right behind me on impulse tree buying!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There isn't a "fuel" choice.

Fuel prices are highest when this commuting gardener has to be on the road the most.

I drink quite a few "sports drinks" and bottles of coffee during the heat of summer ...

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Counting fruit trees, past couple of years my biggest expense has been landscape plants and mulch.

I spend more than I care to on tomato stakes as well. Gonna try that Florida Weave next year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ummm.....DH just bought me a Kubota 2320 tractor with trailer, front end loader, bush hog, disc, box blade, and forks that clamp on the front end bucket. YES! I checked spend money on GARDEN TOOLS!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And I checked plants and seeds too.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i clicked on seeds & plants but with all the money i've spent over the past couple decades collecting seed packets, potato & garlic varieties and learning a few other skills since i joined. i started selling some of my seeds and excess stuff! with dh still being out of work i gave him something to do by selling the excess while i go to work. so far we've sold about $400 in garlic bulbils alone. though i've spent more than that on plants and seeds it is nice to get some money back from all the hard work.

i learned how to save tomato seeds, bean seeds, got corn to finally grown, and grafted apple trees. we've removed some of the trees around the yard to use for firewood while giving me more space for tilling for garden patches.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My votes are seeds and plants and others. That "other" is mulch. I use a lot of free stuff for mulch but I also buy several bales of wheat straw and around here that is not cheap.

Somebody mentioned water in a later post. Yep, water is big.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plants! Definitely plants. Some for the garden, some for the porch, some for the flower beds, some because I just couldn't walk out of the store without them......

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Thistle as I write this I have about 8 trees that need to be planted. Hiring help for garden, cutting grass is $200 a month then day labor runs about another $400 to $500 a month. My first choice was going to be hot tub keeping it hot thu a NY winter is costly.