Official Poll: What do you spend the most on in your garden?

What do you spend the most on in your garden?

• Plants and seeds

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Gardening tools

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Good soil and/or compost and/or fertilizer

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Landscaping

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Outdoor furniture and accessories

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Others

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fortunately the big ticket tools can last for a few decades so that levels out the expense over the years.

Potatoes are always my biggest vegetable splurge. If I could just be happy with what they offer at the feed store....

Kassaundra just made me stop and think about how the garden affects our water bill. I hadn't thought about that factor much.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
right now i would have to say plants and seeds because I'm trying to add fruit trees and berry vines to this new place.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are seeds and landscaping. Baskets of annuals to dress up the porch, and the gigantic deck the house needs something to dress it up. Otherwise it's a big boring space. Plus the irises I had to have this fall.

Dropped a pretty penny on trees last year too. Plan is to divide a bunch of stuff that's overdue that we transplanted to the inlaws a few years back. The plan is to divide and replant the divisions at our new house. That's a big chunk of money we can save.

It's a work in progress though so some years are expensive others we just wait and make due.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fortunately the big ticket tools can last for a few decades so that levels out the expense over the years.

Potatoes are always my biggest vegetable splurge. If I could just be happy with what they offer at the feed store....

Kassaundra just made me stop and think about how the garden affects our water bill. I hadn't thought about that factor much.
It easily triples our water bill. Trees are a pretty penny, but I don't buy them every year, the water is an every year thing.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's kind of a loaded question here, LOL!!! Many purchases are one time expenditures (such as stone & concrete, tractor, soil, irrigation systems, greenhouses, etc.), while others are ongoing (fertilizer, insecticides/fungicides, fuel/electricity, etc.).

Other than the above items, I guess the it's specialty hybrid seeds.

Tony O

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! I wasn't thinking about that w_r_ranch. I wonder if I can change my answer to other. I wasn't thinking about how much fuel cost to heat the greenhouse all winter. :barnie

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seeds that I couldn't save from my own plants, would normally be the biggest cost. Now in the process of changing my veggie garden completely over to raised beds, is costing me the most. Cedar isn't cheap!

Latest posts