Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?

Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?

• Small Garden

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Urban Garden

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Wildlife-Friendly Garden

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Mediterranean Garden

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Contemporary Garden

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Formal Garden

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Cottage Garden

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 33 36.7%

• Total voters

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know yet. I just moved to this property, hardiness zone 6a. It is full on winter right now. I know late step mom planted herself a massive garden, but I will have to wait till Spring, to see what comes up. See what needs pulled. Stuff.
I know she planted many plants that I love. Peonies for one. But I cannot tell what the dead stuff is.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know yet. I just moved to this property, hardiness zone 6a. It is full on winter right now. I know late step mom planted herself a massive garden, but I will have to wait till Spring, to see what comes up. See what needs pulled. Stuff.
I know she planted many plants that I love. Peonies for one. But I cannot tell what the dead stuff is.

it gives you a lot to look forwards to for the spring time and early summer season to see what all those are. :) it doesn't sound like she grew many vegetables?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it gives you a lot to look forwards to for the spring time and early summer season to see what all those are. :) it doesn't sound like she grew many vegetables?

Oh no, it is ALL flowers. Her house was built right next to the main drainage ditch for the subdivision, so she adopted it as her own planting garden. Bringing in dirt, and apparently planted over 10K in flowers. I know some of it will need to be thinned out, but I won't know what till they bloom. Until then, I won't touch them.

Myrthryn

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My ideal type of garden would be all food forest, but here in Indiana, can't get superhuman amounts of food out of my limited space. I don't till, cover with leaves/compost/cardboard. This is my third year, so almost a cycle of the main growing areas done, heavy feeder, potatoes, legumes. There's a lot of impromptu to it as well..I think I can fit this plant in over there.. :) Considering my broomcorn sorghum reaches 12ft (I grew 100 sqft this year) I think I'm going to grow it and other things around a little area where I can't see anything but green and possibly a small fountain.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Myrthryn , First, :welcome from Central IL. I must have missed your original new member introduction.
You may want to research cold frames, etc., ways to extend the season, or start your season early. LOTS of posts here on that.
Impromptu is very important bc sometimes you miss a watering or some care, and the "easy" vegetables/herbs/perennial take a hit, and something you never really meant to grow well, does great. I planted turnips late, used 20 cents/package seeds and practically every one sprouted. Just checked them toDAY and many have decent sized bulbs. I plan to keep covering them when it frosts/freezes and keep them going as long as possible, and harvest as many as I can.
We in zones 5/6 in the Midwest never seem to have a good Spring palatable to cool weather vegetables. They often bolt before you get many in to eat.
I could recommend some good plants for summer growing, if you would like.
We are ALWAYS learning how to garden here, and My attitude is "your garden, YOUR RULES!"

Latest posts