Official TEG Poll : What type of Gardener are you?

What type of Gardener are you?

• Farmers

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Breeders

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Landscapers

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Collectors

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OTHER. I might fit some of FARMER because I have a tractor-named Marigold. :love I certainly think I would like being LANDSCAPER and have the garden so correctly laid out and beautiful. Definitely not a BREEDER because I like everything, so I might be somewhat of a COLLECTOR.

After just having moved, I think I would be partly NEW gardener, but not really because I am an EXPERIENCED gardener. FRUSTRATED fits my first year garden because everything drowned, what survived the floods burned up when the 3 months of no rain and lots of heat hit. And RABBIT HATER :somad would be a good fit also because I despise the darn things, would add GRASSHOPPER-HATER :rant to that list too. HOPEFUL describes my 2016 garden starting line. Better PREPARED strikes me as a good 2016 quality.

OTHER because I garden for our food, which we sorely miss. OTHER because I don't till, tuck various plants in here and there and mix flowers and vegetables. OTHER because I have plans to plant in a permaculture style, incorporating hugelculture as a way to conserve water and return nutrients to the soil. OTHER because my husband and I have dumped load after load of pine shavings from a horse event center not only on the garden, but in many places on our property. OTHER because I am all and none of the above. :thumbsup

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm a collector through and through. I try to be a bit more more disciplined and organized when I plant however I love my oddballs and unique things.

I love non-traditional colors of things which is why I tend to go a little crazy with tomatoes. They need to have flavor and produce well also. If they don't eat both requirements then it's in to the next variety. It makes for some really pretty jars of canned tomatoes as well as all the things tomatoes go in.

Tomatoes are not the only thing though, it can be peppers, or anything else unique and fun.

I love to grow things that really pop like Glass Gem corn or Kulli Black Incan corn just scream "PLANT ME!!!" and who am I to say no?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm all of the above and change with every season depending on past and curent year's growing conditions which are never the same. Such is the life of one that provides husbandry for livestock and pastures as well as a large garden and orchard trees on acrage. Curently I live on a small city lot and the growing conditions are such that I have to change everything that I did for years such as from a high desert type soils and less than 10" rainfall where I could grow crops for 10 months out of a year to Mediteranian weather conditions with an average rainfall of 35" +/- and well drained sandy soil and short growing season over the summer months.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I totally get you @Jared77 . And then you get those weird looks from people whose only exposure to food is the boring same-o same-o grocery store stuff.

Or those who value tried and true production and taste over unusual colors and varieties? ;) I like a little color as well as the next guy but I won't waste time on weird or fancy if it doesn't deliver or isn't practical.

Having said that, I'm adding a few colors to the palette this year that I normally would not have...but they will not be repeated if they don't deliver, no matter how pretty or unusual. Some I have tried already in the past and know them to be good so am just bringing them around one more time. Others I have never tried but would like to try just once to see if they stand up to taste and production.

Those same ol' boring types or varieties of veggies are more popular for a reason, I imagine....because they stand the test of time and will give you the most food for the time spent and usually don't cost as much for the seeds as the fancier stuff.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have staples too. I openly admit growing a number of Early Girl tomatoes, and Kentucky Wonder pole beans and Blue Lake bush beans. I grow both pole beans are for eating fresh during the season and bush beans get canned.

My garden is a mix of heirloom and production varieties. For example Early girls are a workhorse tomato for me. They are as reliable as a German train schedule. My wife likes them and I like them so I keep them around. Early Girl in my book doesn't have any faults except for the fact I can't save seed from it.

That being said I've grown in a row Early Girls next to Green Zebras, Black Krims, Mr Stripey, and Taxi which is a yellow variety. I plant a number of EG along with my other must grows such as Black Krim every year.

Then I plant a couple new varieties that catch my eye. Usually a couple of each variety that appeal to me. This year I have a number of Wild Boar farms creations, as well as some other heirlooms from I ordered from Baker creek like Costulso Genoveese, and Woodle Orange.

The new varieties I plant with the intention of them failing. Yes I said that. I do not count on them producing anything for me. Anything new I try I have that attitude with. It's not tied into what I expect to grow. That's what my staples are for. They are my workhorses for a reason. That way anything I get from my new varieties is bonus. Besides I've had some varieties I've grown that produced well but I didn't like the taste of. Some were under performers.

I like to try new things. Sometimes it's a winner like Black Krim. Love those those are a staple for me and yes they get a raised eyebrow every time someone new tries them. Some are awful choices and I'm like "What was I thinking?"

The uniqueness is why I grow them but they have to deliver. If not I move on to another unique variety that catches my eye. There are so many to try that I won't settle if the flavor or production isn't good.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to stick with heirloom seeds as well, though not always easy to do in things like bell peppers and such. My workhorse tomato is Brandywine and I can always depend on them to produce while still being able to save seed. I am trying another heirloom tomato this season called Prudens Purple, just to see what it's all about. I'm not real adventurous when it comes to gardening, though more so than my parents before me.

My mother has always liked Jet Star for dependability and I like them as well, but I'd like to be able to stick to varieties I can reproduce here without buying seed.