Official TEG Poll: Which is your favorite Summer Flower to plant?

Official TEG Poll: Which is your favorite Summer Flower to plant?

• Roses

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Crape Myrtle

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Bottle Brush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vitex

• Gardenia

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Abelia / Chinese Abelia

• Angel Trumpet

• Smoke Bush

• Chinese Hibiscus

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Others (please specify)

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love Crepe Myrtle. We had a beautiful fushia tree at our of house. We planted 4 at the driveway gate the first year we were here. They are a deep burgundy color. They bloomed so pretty this year!

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love marigolds, named my tractor Marigold, also day lilies, zinnias, periwinkles, petunias and all bulb flowers.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know, I can't name a favorite but I'm very partial to the cardiocrinums, I grow two varieties of C. giganteum . This one with the green leaves grows the tallest approx. 10feet.
DSCN0850.JPG DSCN0659.JPG
DSCN0849.JPG
Closeup of this one's flower, markings are a little different from the one below.

This one grows around 6-7 feet.
DSCN3439.JPG DSCN4043.JPG
When in bloom their fragrance fills the garden. once they bloom they die but not before making pups, these will take 3-4 years before they bloom.

Seed pods are attractive too...DSCN6319.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hollyhocks were my dads favorite flowers they really are beautiful.

they are Mom's favorite too, but a few years after we planted them some rust blew in on the wind and they've never done well since. not that we can kill them off easily, but the yellow spotted leaves look so sickly after a while...

the make a good border plant behind other things, the variety of colors is great and the hummingbirds and bees love 'em. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't come up with an answer here.

Probably, most of the TEG crowd who have been around awhile might expect me to say: dahlia. But, I like lots of flowers :). I even like tomato and squash flowers!

The original list is a little confusing to me. Brugmansia doesn't survive winter temperatures in lots of locations, altho it is real pleasing to me to see that some grow it around here as an annual. The lack of hardiness is likely true with others on the list.

Some of us went right ahead and chose annuals. And, why not? Several on the suggested list may not bloom during their first summer - "brightening our days" would have to be an anticipation for later years.

I like iris real well. Some have a very pleasant fragrance. Of course, they are big, bright and beautiful. Dahlias certainly are also but their "sunflower" fragrance isn't what most expect and would call wonderful, or something.

Some of the annuals are great! I feel lucky that some of them, like petunias and zinnias do well here. I don't really understand why DW doesn't care much for marigolds. I mean, you don't have to sniff at them. Besides, I found several varieties that smell okay ;).

I think I'll look at some gladiola pictures. Anybody who just thinks "funeral arrangement" every time they see a glad ... well ... stop that!

Steve

Latest posts