Oh HAIL!!

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden was looking pretty good considering late snows, cold temps, cutworms and some minor flooding 2 weeks ago, in fact I just told my DH this am that I thought my one lone brussels sprout (cutworms ate the other 5 :barnie) had doubled in size overnight, 30 bean plants were up and one of my blue hubbard squash plants had gotten its' first true leaf, DH even commented this afternoon when he got home from work that the gardens were really starting to pop. Then 1 hour later the storm hit, torrential rain and hail :hide :hit.

Well it is still raining lightly 3 hours later, there is a 20 ft in diameter, 2 1/2 ft deep puddle at the end of the driveway, just came in from checking the gardens :hit :hit. My poor brussels seems to have taken the worst of the hail, and the beets look pretty rough, some of the beans are gone and some of the squash, blue hubbard looked to be ok and the corn looked fair, potatoes and tomatoes are fine thanks to straw mulch on taters and walls of water around maters. I think everything will come back but there is ALOT of water standing in some areas. Rain predicted through the night and storms again tomorrow. Oh well it could have been worse, 5 years ago in Aug we had $10,000.00 in hail damage to our cars and house. I can always replant some seeds if I need to. On the bright side the greenhouse held up with no damage :rainbow-sun

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
COgirl said:
My garden was looking pretty good considering late snows, cold temps, cutworms and some minor flooding 2 weeks ago, in fact I just told my DH this am that I thought my one lone brussels sprout (cutworms ate the other 5 :barnie) had doubled in size overnight, 30 bean plants were up and one of my blue hubbard squash plants had gotten its' first true leaf, DH even commented this afternoon when he got home from work that the gardens were really starting to pop. Then 1 hour later the storm hit, torrential rain and hail :hide :hit.

Well it is still raining lightly 3 hours later, there is a 20 ft in diameter, 2 1/2 ft deep puddle at the end of the driveway, just came in from checking the gardens :hit :hit. My poor brussels seems to have taken the worst of the hail, and the beets look pretty rough, some of the beans are gone and some of the squash, blue hubbard looked to be ok and the corn looked fair, potatoes and tomatoes are fine thanks to straw mulch on taters and walls of water around maters. I think everything will come back but there is ALOT of water standing in some areas. Rain predicted through the night and storms again tomorrow. Oh well it could have been worse, 5 years ago in Aug we had $10,000.00 in hail damage to our cars and house. I can always replant some seeds if I need to. On the bright side the greenhouse held up with no damage :rainbow-sun
Sorry to hear about that COgirl. I hope everything will spring back, but if not you could always replant. Hail can cause a lot of damage sometimes, unfortunely.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh no! And I thought I had it bad with my cutworm infestation! Cutworms AND hail? You win! :rolleyes:
Luckily we rarely get hail, and if it does hail, it's usually nothing to write home about. That being said, today is the start of hurricane season... :hide

I hope the plants hold out! I'll send you some sunshine vibes!
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you had this problem, ColoradoGirl.

One year, a hail storm took out one garden. The sweet corn was just starting to ripen. Not only did it shred the leaves, which probably wouldn't have mattered, it bruised the ears so badly, they just went right to rotting :/.

Fruit fell off and fruit tree branches were so damaged that the upper surfaces were scarred for years. I suppose, they still are . . .

It's still early in our growing season. Everything "warm-season" can still be set out or sown.

Pests, pestilence, storms, drought . . .

Keep as cool as you can, face piles and piles of trials with smiles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

;)

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The hardware cloth I bought to reinforce the duck pen ended up as hail cages (or squirrel cages if you like) for my squash :p

The hail here was too mushy to do any damage, but my ducks ATE MY BASIL AND 2 of my TOMATO PLANTS!!! Goofballs!

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the good thoughts ya'll.
wifezilla--I thought it was too soft also till I went out, I think it just came down with such force. Those silly ducks :) but they must be loving all the rain, my geese are.

Steve--I will keep smiling, I am glad it is still early on so I can replace if needed.

GrowingveggiesinSC--be sure you get yourself some BT it really works, don't forget the cornmeal!!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
I hope the plants hold out! I'll send you some sunshine vibes!
:coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun
That was cute GrowinVeggiesInSC!

Oh Gosh, I almost forgot about hurricane season...nice :rolleyes: (scarcasim here). I don't envy you guys one bit! I moved away from the coast last Hurricane Ike...it almost tore my house down! I lost two trees and my whole herb garden was shreaded and then turned brown. Having a tree smashed like a crushed cigarette into the back garden didn't help either. I didn't mind the garden as much as I hated to see those trees ruined like that. :(

Weather!! :barnie

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
It's still early in our growing season. Everything "warm-season" can still be set out or sown.

Steve
Steve,
So it wouldn't be too late to sow some eggplant seeds for a crop??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it would be too late to start eggplant from seed in any part of Colorado I've seen.

But, there are quite a few plants of all sorts in the farmers' markets, garden centers, etc. - I'd bet.

Steve