Oh, I messed up!! picture (update)

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I built my new chicken coop in the wrong place. Its so big and glaring and sticks out like a sore thumb it has totally ruined the panorama of my yard. :( Im ridiculously upset about it and need suggestions on how I can soften or yes, hide it! I want it to blend, but I dont think its possible since its in the middle of my yard. Im thinking trellis and evergreen vines? Please help! :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... here's what we did... we MOVED the massive beast!!!

My husband built it with the idea he was going to move it where I wanted it... then it was soooooooooo massive we couldn't move it, and I hated it being smack dab in the middle of the yard. Finally we got a couple of friends 2 huge dollies with massive wheels and we all moved it to the new location. Luckily, no one was hurt but it was close.

Now if that is NOT an option.... trying turning it into an 'entertainment' area. Get a little table and chairs to sit and watch your chickens, paint it a lovely soft shade (I chose a natural looking green with brown trim so it fades into the yards colors) then surround it with some native plants, maybe a statue you really like. Put some stepping stones around it... make it become a well used area. :) Vines always work well too... Jasmine or climbing roses?! ;)

Good luck dear... I know the feeling!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks vfem, but moving it is not an option unfortunately. The four posts are cemented in the ground. I have it painted a pretty pale shade of yellow I thought would be great, but it's like a beacon that says "look how obnoxious I am!" see below :rolleyes:

HPIM1337.jpg

I am going to make window boxes and maybe do a garden on the outside of the fence. Ugh, what was I thinking? :hit

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So is the fenced in area the run for the coop or is that another yard? Your yard?!

I got ideas :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

Is that about the most Luscious grass you ever saw in your life. I could sleep on that grass! LOL :lol:

As for your view, I am assuming that you would normally see an expanse of grass (that incredible grass) all the way to the tree-line in the back.

I think that you will grow to love being able to look out at the chickens (especially when they are screaming and you suspect a fox or something).

I think it all looks divine! Absolutely, positively, 100% gorgeous! I wouldn't change a thing other than flowers, flowers, and more flowers. I love it. I especially love the color.

I am coming over to lay on your grass :D

Ron

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All of it is mine. Attached to the front of the coop on the inside of the fence you see in the picture is the run - welded wire 10 x 22' - I'll have to get updated pictures - and a cute little gate to the run. The picture doesn't show it - it wasn't finished yet. What ideas? !Tell me quick!!! :pop

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Wow,

Is that about the most Luscious grass you ever saw in your life. I could sleep on that grass! LOL :lol:

As for your view, I am assuming that you would normally see an expanse of grass (that incredible grass) all the way to the tree-line in the back.

I think that you will grow to love being able to look out at the chickens (especially when they are screaming and you suspect a fox or something).

I think it all looks divine! Absolutely, positively, 100% gorgeous! I wouldn't change a thing other than flowers, flowers, and more flowers. I love it. I especially love the color.

I am coming over to lay on your grass :D

Ron
LOL! Thanks Ron - yes, I do love my grass - and yes that is exactly what you would see is a vast expanse of grass and no chemicals used! I guess I'm upset because it chops up the whole of my lot - make sense?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a shot before the coop

HPIM0456-1.jpg

see what I mean? It's like a sore thumb! I'm surprised people haven't wrecked their cars coming around the corner and seeing it! :rolleyes:

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think you could turn it into a nice place to watch your chickens. With the swing there it would be perfect to pretty up the coop. Maybe add some kind of vine to grow on the fence and "disguise" the coop?