Oh, I messed up!! picture (update)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't find the coop unsightly at all! I think it looks sweet, and I love the color...Since, I am compelled to decorate everything I see, I would definitely go with the recommended shutters, window boxes, vines, etc. Not because I think it is ugly- just because I think it would look "cuter"...I think you are just not used to your new view yet. It looks like a very pleasant place to sit and watch chicken TV! Enjoy it- your yard looks beautiful!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can I suggest outdoor art work to add to it?! Like weathered mosiacs or old broken china essembled to look like chickens or a sun or something?! Hang that with the shutters and flower boxes?!

Here's a pick of mine AFTER we moved it!

tomato5.jpg

I liked adding the copper star and the window does have window boxes that are filled with decorative grasses and black eyed susans now.

You can see the muted green I used, and it blends even better now.... Those posts between the coop and the veggie garden... thats for some grape vines we have growing! Maybe some grapes on the fence. Hang some metal art sculptures by that?!

I am ALL for outdoor sculptures.... I have some local artists I used to work with who make some metal one's out of old farm equiptment, planters... whatever they can find, and its awesome when they are done!!!!!!!!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG! Your garden is beautiful! :ep Great ideas! I like the shutter idea and sculptures. Definitely putting window boxes.

I've acquired several cedar poles that I got while I was in Texas over the weekend. They are about 7-8' tall and I think I can use them to make a trellis on the back and grow jasmine.

lesa - I think you are right - maybe I'm just not used to the view yet - hopefully soon I won't cringe when I pull up in the drive. :rolleyes:

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it's a really nice looking coop! If you want an eyesore, you should see ours! :lol: I agree that planting some vines on the fence would soften up the view a bit.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we've worked a little on softening / hiding the yellow monster! We've added lattice around the bottom and made two trellis's and planted star jasmine. I'm hoping the jasmine will fill out quickly! ;) I also made a small flower bed along side the run. I still have a lot to do, but the heat is unbearable with triple digits the last three weeks. This weather is supposed to break tomorrow (hopefully) and the temps will be in the low 90's where they are supposed to be this time of year. We've had fans on the coops 24/7 to keep the girls from heat stroke.

HPIM1409.jpg

HPIM1410.jpg

HPIM1411.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL,

Don't look now, but I think you have the chickens from Hogan's Heroes. LOL

I see an electrical line across the fenceline leading to a fan. Wow, these chickens might be stealing your electricity; next they will be installing a/c. LOL :D

I shouldn't laugh, I have an a/c unit on my rabbits. It is only turned on for several hours in the evening to cool everything down for the night. I rarely have to have it on in the summer because they hang out underground in their burrows.

I love how the chickies have settled right in. I especially like the jasmine; once it has filled the trellis it will create an excellent way to keep the walls cool in the summer months and less exposed in the winter.

Ron

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL! Ron, yes it looks a little ghetto right now, but I've just come from outside to pick up all the fans because IT'S RAINING!!! :weee and it's cool - well cooler than 103 degrees! Maybe this week I can continue working on it without fear of heat stroke. :rolleyes:

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think its adorable! I agree with others make it a sitting area as well and the landscaping you have done has really brightened it up to appear more "homey." Its amazing what some flowers and landscaping can do & I hope you are getting used to it. Its a great coop and set-up :thumbsup