Oh my aching Back! Help!

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
After a long hiatus to the real world, here I am again due to pain. Chronic problem, docs don't know what to do, and I can't function again with this flare up. So here I am, begging for suggestions.

What do you all do to function with a bad back? Work tips, work out tips, self medication, anything.

Last fall I ran through the spinal injection series (not working), two different courses of chiropractic (only temporary help, then worsening), stretches, urgh! I'm a bit put out that the only answer I get is to quit gardening. I had to quit work, limit to 15 minutes per session on computer, all sorts of lifestyle changes for my constellation of health problems. I will not give up the garden *fingers stomping across keyboard*.

What I am doing: prescribed stretches and exercises 3 time per day, with heat on the one problem and ice on the other problem. Switching all to intensive style, raised beds. With drip irrigation. Mulched paths. Tiller, my one-handed dream boat easy to use Troybuilt, used for the corn patch. Slave labor (my adult children who still live at home) occasionally but not regular or predictably work digging. Ditto husband - he's always at the office.

Anybody?

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My problems are not as bad as yours but I see that day coming for me sometime in the future. I did physical therapy, have a small TENS unit to electrify myself, heat, have ruined my stomach with Ibuprophen, etc. I trudge onward. The raised beds should help, less weeding and less bending. There isn't any hope for it getting better with disks that are worn out and bulging and osteoarthritis. SO, we do our exercise, heat/cold, and suffer if we want to continue gardening. I see raised beds and container gardening in my future. Plus I hope my husband's back stays in good shape to do the corn and beans! I have 4 raised beds now but a large garden as well. I did get better last year after having shots for an allergic reaction to bee stings but it's back now.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My son just had an implant done for his back problem after 5 years of pain and narcotics that barely worked....it is an electronic device that works like a tens unit but attached to his spinal column and siatic nerve...he still has pain but not the 9 1/2 level thet he was living with...I also have pain problems due to ostioarthritis and fibromyalgia...I have a couple of raised beds and a regular garden to work... I refuse to stop gardening....I have little seats to sit upon and a very helpful DH...I have learned to pace myself...and though the garden isnt as weed free as I'd like it to be it suffices... I take rest stops with the heating pad...were I used to do 5-6 hours of work at a time I can only do a short amount of time many times in the day...I wont make gardener of the year but I can still garden

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your back issues... My Dh has herniated disks, etc. and he finds incredible relief from yoga. I urge you to give it a try... Don't give up gardening!! You are not Martha Stewart- if you end up with weed filled beds, oh well. Do what you can, that is all you can do! No judging, comparing, etc. If digging in the dirt brings you happiness, do it for 10 minutes a day. Here's hoping you find some relief.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rheumatoid arthritis as a younger person, osteoarthritis with pseudoarthrosis of vertebra & pelvis, 4 herniated discs, paralysis of one leg . . . No surgery because of the rheumatoid arthritis. Long ago, like RetiredWith4Acres, I wrecked my stomach with anti-inflammatories. Foot dragger because of the paralyzed leg. Used a brace for a few years but had circulation problems.

I think that all the stretching in the garden actually is the best exercise for me. Carrying stuff ain't so great. Diving face first toward the ground ain't either :rolleyes:.

Elsewhere, I just mentioned the use of stools, upside-down buckets and plastic crates in the garden. Of course, once I'm down there, it is difficult to get up but having a long-handled tool handy helps. I like my 4-prong cultivator. The cane can stay in the pickup and I can use the cultivator on those pesky weeds that I'd otherwise, bend over to pull. Still, movement is my friend :p.

Staying in one position is not my friend . . . probably because of so much trouble sleeping the previous 2 nights - I just spent 8 hours in bed :cool:! This sort of thing happens maybe once a month. It isn't that I don't like sleep. It's just that my body doesn't like horizontal. . . not for more than about 5 hours. . . or, sitting . . . or, standing . . . Of course, I can't walk all that far - weight of a nearly useless leg and awkward gait.

In the garden, permanent paths help. I no longer have any board-enclosed beds but the soil is higher in the beds.

Steve

lillie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your back troubles. I'd go crazy if I couldn't garden! At the ripe old age of 38 I have developed bursitis in my shoulder and can really feel it after an afternoon of working in the yard. I need to learn to take it easy and let the Hub do most of the heavy work! No comparison to what you're going through, however, but I hope you can find a way to keep on gardening. :hugs

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sorry bout your troubles, I have problems for years..containers are my answer to having a garden..raised bed didn't get the garden high enough for me to work..my containers are waist high so very little bending..
Hope you can find something that works for you.. Just keep trying

Don

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
After a long hiatus to the real world, here I am again due to pain. Chronic problem, docs don't know what to do, and I can't function again with this flare up. So here I am, begging for suggestions.

What do you all do to function with a bad back? Work tips, work out tips, self medication, anything.

Last fall I ran through the spinal injection series (not working), two different courses of chiropractic (only temporary help, then worsening), stretches, urgh! I'm a bit put out that the only answer I get is to quit gardening. I had to quit work, limit to 15 minutes per session on computer, all sorts of lifestyle changes for my constellation of health problems. I will not give up the garden *fingers stomping across keyboard*.

What I am doing: prescribed stretches and exercises 3 time per day, with heat on the one problem and ice on the other problem. Switching all to intensive style, raised beds. With drip irrigation. Mulched paths. Tiller, my one-handed dream boat easy to use Troybuilt, used for the corn patch. Slave labor (my adult children who still live at home) occasionally but not regular or predictably work digging. Ditto husband - he's always at the office.

Anybody?
Pray for your back to be healed and know that the Lord can do it. From experience I know...:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I could be of some help. Last year I got very ill, weak and didn't know why. I became useless in the garden and even useless at work.

What we did figure out was I had Chronic Reoccurring Mono, but was having signs of Lupis as well. We never finished that diagnosis but whatever it was, I had joint pain so bad walking was difficult (to say the least) most days.

I did use rubs, pills and heating pads... but nothing ever gave me the boost I needed to get much done outside. I did have some really fabulous friends who came over and helped make dinner, did a little weeding and harvesting from the garden and helped me with my daughter. That's my best suggestion, definitely get some help from friends and family if you can. Take your time to heal!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
StupidBird said:

Anybody?
Ice, ice, ice. And CONTINUAL chiropractic. I had a severe back injury 8 years ago. I used those two things plus, physical therapy, and acupuncture. I continue with chiropractic and some acupuncture and always ice. I FINALLY BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE SEATS ON WHEELS WHICH TAKES A BIT OF PRESSURE OFF THE BACK.

Latest posts