Oh no!! I almost ruined the punkin' pie!! :((

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It has finally arrived. Old age...well, ok..LATE middle age.

I baked 2 pumpkin pies this morning, and used the recipe on the can. Libby's can. Is it just me or is the print actually being printed smaller :ep

I mis-read the measure for sugar. I read the recipe several times....and was still having to take my bi-focals off.

After DH got home from his morning Dr. appt, we tried some. One pie was very pale in color, and the crust not as dry as usual. We tried it first. Hmm. :( :idunno
Not near as flavorful and sweet as previous years pies.

So....I go and get the paper from the can. Uh -oh. The sugar says..."3/4 C" :th
I read it as "1/4 C"....it was sooo
tiny. :he

So this evening...I slice the darker pie. It is somewhat better. Still not my normal delicious spicy good pumpkin pie. :hit

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always use that recipe also. I was squinting my eyes and was sure it said 3/4 cup but I got my big magnifying glass just to be sure. It's not you, that print sure is tiny!

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well at least you used sugar and not salt...

One time when my sis was visiting our parents she decided to treat them to a home made pie. My mom kept her bulk ingredients in large canisters.

Everybody sat down eagerly for a piece of the fresh pie and stopped chewing almost exactly as if on cue. The rest is family history, but my sis says
who keeps a gallon of salt in a canister?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welll...I ALMOST messed up on the salt too. :hide I caught it, and dumped it back out...then re-measured it. But that darn print up in the very left top of the recipe.....I swear it said "1/4 C"..even though it sounded to me like it wasn't enough. :idunno

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a pie called "Fruits of the Forest" by Sara Lee. It was soooo good. I would take it to potlucks and people thought I had made it. It was that good. It was several mixed berries. Sadly, I don't see it anymore.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
moxies, be careful! Get yourself a magnifying glass for next time. I just made a pie crust and added the 3/4 teas. salt. Then I noticed it calls for unsalted butter! I only had regular butter so I used that. I hope it's not too salty.

Mary

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Like I said......LATE middle age......HAS arrived! :lol: ......:hit for me

ETA; I know now......to make the recipes print larger :ep

Latest posts