Ok, I got lazy

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I aquired one of those single row seeders for my garden. It is great for the beans and peas and sunflowers (for the chickens). I decided to get lazy in the garden this year and I used it for my corn. In the past years I have always planted 3-4 kernels about 6 inches apart. Then go through the time to "back fill" all the rows. Well this year I used the planter. I planted a pound of seed in about 3 minutes, covered up and all. They can up today but there might be a problem. There is not more than 1/2 inch of spacing between each plant from one end to the other of the row. I know we have never planted them that close when growing field corn and wasn't sure if it cause problems being right on top of each other like that?

Any Thoughts?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know...I see them planted pretty close to each other around here in Indiana. But with your concerns I'd probably let them get started and then spend a little time talking to them and plucking out the crowded, leaving the strong.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yikes, 1/2" spacing is pretty darn crowded. I think you will need to thin them out quite a bit. Probably better to do it sooner than later. The plants roots you pull, may mesh with the plants you want to leave, and end up pulling them up as well.:eek: Cutting them with scissors might be best unless you want to transplant the seedlings.

If you have more garden space you could transplant the seedlings. Unfortunately, all the labor saving you had hoped for using the planting wheel, will be counteracted.:rolleyes:

Commercial corn growers do plant pretty thick crops, but they usually use huge amounts of fertilizer to accomplish this. Even then I'm sure the seeds are 6" minimum spacing.

Quote from the Delta Farm Press

"Row-width changes optimum plant population and yield potential because it ultimately affects plant spacing. In fact, Childs found his 20-inch rows out-yielded his 30-inch rows by 28.5 bushels per acre. Seeds spaced closer than 6 inches apart normally increase competition for light, water and nutrients, which weakens stalk quality without increasing yield potential"

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ouch 1/2 inch apart? Each adult stalk should be at least an inch and a half in diameter if it's the regular stuff that takes more then 68 days. (Shake my fist at our short cool summers) I plant at least 8 inches apart and find leaves still touch very well.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
Yikes, 1/2" spacing is pretty darn crowded. I think you will need to thin them out quite a bit. Probably better to do it sooner than later. The plants roots you pull, may mesh with the plants you want to leave, and end up pulling them up as well.:eek: Cutting them with scissors might be best unless you want to transplant the seedlings.

If you have more garden space you could transplant the seedlings. Unfortunately, all the labor saving you had hoped for using the planting wheel, will be counteracted.:rolleyes:
Just be careful when transplanting corn really isn't keen on being transplanted. Which I've learned the hard way a few seasons ago. :he

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess I am just going to thin it out when it drys enough to get back in the garden.

Latest posts