OK, I Got the Dog

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I train my dogs to walk by saying "WALK" and tug slightly on the leash. I do not make them walk in a heel - I think that its very impt for dogs to smell and check everything out. Its their "eyes" and it alleviates boredom.

Congratulations to your new pup! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If this dog doesn't work out for some reason ... I just saw a news report on TV this morning that you can adopt a choice of a airplane load of "purebred Golden Retriever" street dogs from no less than Turkey by a rescue group in Georgia. One of the many dogs shown was suspicously looking like a Golden Labrador Retriever !!!! Many of the "purebred Golden Retrievers" shown had off conformation as well as looking obese ( How can street dogs be obese ? ). So much for dog breed claims by bleeding heart rescuers for credibility . :rolleyes:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a client in today for grooming, she kept finding and adopting purebred Pomeranian puppies in rescue. 1st one she adopted I thought how lucky, rich person dumped puppy after finding out how much work puppies are. By 3rd puppy she adopted I was seeing red flag. 4th puppy I asked how much was she paying in adoption fees, was shocked to hear much more then buying from a breeder. What are chances rescue get 4 purebred puppies in a year time?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leave it to money hungry folks to figure out how to hook people who are trying to do a "good thing" by adopting a rescued animal. Geeze!
No one got rich off this dog! She was part of a special promotion, unbeknownst to me till I got ready to pay. $27.00 for the adoption. Of course, the supplies will cost a bit, I'm sure.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I hope your husband will come to like her. Beagle mixes can make really great dogs and tend to be very good with kids. My DH had a beagle/pug mix (kept by his MIL after we married, because she was so happy running around on their big property, we hated to take that from her.) They do tend to be tubby and love treats. A rice-based food helps keep them trim, as opposed to corn which is fattening. MIL's dog lived to be 15 years old and was healthy and active as could be, right up until the end. Can you post pics of your new friend? I bet the spaniel in her makes for a very cute dog. :)

ETA: Moving the dog's collar high up on her neck, closer to her ears will give you more control when walking. More of a pressure point, like it is with a horse. If it is too low, closer to the chest, it gives them a "harness" to push against comfortably.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How nice of you to bring a dog home from a shelter. Nothing better than a second chance on life. I hope she brings you great joy! :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, so far, the only negative thing is the pulling on the lead. She is very friendly but laid back. right now she is snoozing in the middle of the floor. I will take some photos but last time I tried to post something, I couldn't. Operator error, I'm sure. Thanks for the tips, y'all. Keep 'em coming. I'm sure I am going to need lots of help!

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our little Maltese is a real puller. He is perfect in every other way, but is just awful on a leash. I recently purchased a no pull harness for him and it has made a huge difference! He wants to pull but when he tries, the harness seems to stop him from tugging hard. This is only a recent purchase so I don't know how it will pan out in the extended future, but you might give one of these harnesses a try!

Here is a link to several types....http://www.petexpertise.com/no-pull-dog-harnesses.html

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find that doing a lot of about turns works to make the dog keep it's attention on you. Of course that's not something you would do when taking them for a walk with a purpose. But combined with some basic obedience in a focused lesson it's helpful.

No doubt I'm a little bit obsessive about dogs walking beside me on a slack leash, but I can't enjoy myself if my dog is being rude and demanding. It took some doing but my JRT finally figured out that it was much more pleasant to walk calmly next to me than straining and pulling. He was a tough case. My sister never worked her dog (JRT) on leash training, and nobody wanted to be in charge of him on a walk.

Latest posts