OK, I Got the Dog

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We took her to the vet yesterday, for her free checkup. This vet says she is probably about 3 years old, and declared her to be in good health. She checked the dog for fleas, (none, thank goodness!) and advised giving benedryl if needed for the itching, as there is no inflammation or irritation visible. I haven't gotten her any dog shampoo yet, but rubbed in some coconut oil on her skin on her back, then wiped it off the fur, That stopped the itching immediately. I may need to do it daily for a while. At least that is something healthy if she licks it off.
Still no problems with her. She appears to be a happy, nosy, friendly, willing to please 27 lb dog. Still haven't heard her bark. I think we are naming her Penny. That was DH's suggestion, so I'm fine with it.
Paid the big bucks for the topical heart worm/flea/wormer stuff. DH took a great pic of her. When I get back from babysitting I will try some different ways to post it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
She could just be dirty bc that can cause skin irritation. Hopefully she didn't inherit any inbreeding healthy issues.
I know what you mean about changing names. My QH, a red dunn (they have a dorsal stripe and cross like a donkey and stripes on the forearms) was named "Pepper". =/ That's okay for a grey roan that looks like ground pepper, but he TOLD me that his name was "Buster Brown," which fits him like a glove.
My two dogs are on the 5 acres with me every day and I do need to use their leashes. When I do leash, I always use choke chains, and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, I train every time I walk them with a leash. Dogs are SOOOOOOOOOOO trainable and they want to please. A very well trained dog is a joy to be around, but you must work at it and hold your dog to high standards. Put the chain on so that is tightens around their necks. UNLESS somebody stupidly ties with a choke chain, the chain is quite safe, so if you tie, rehook it directly to the dog's collar, then rehook when you resume your walk.
Don't be afraid to isolate when she breaks the rules, even use the crate. Dogs are really smart and she will know that it is punishment and won't look at the crate differently, still seeing it as a "den."

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buying heart worm/ flea wormer at vet you are paying top dollar. I get all mine from mail order company's cutting out the middleman

When I went online to get the Rimadyl for my dog, my vet had initially directed me to their website, which leads you to another portal where you can purchase meds from an online store and have them shipped to you. She told me the website would contact them to complete the Rx paperwork, which sounds upfront like a good thing, that they are going to handle it all for you. Well, I compared the prices of both the Rimadyl and Carprofen (generic by Putney) with 1-800-Petmeds and Petmeds was slightly higher than what the vet site had on it, but they were cheaper on the glucosamine supplement and had free shipping too.

So that sent me looking around at OTHER pet medicine websites online and I was absolutely shocked to find the same meds (both generic and name brand) nearly $30 cheaper with a couple of other vendors. There were other sites also just as expensive too and it seemed to be the ones like 1-800-Petmeds that I have heard advertised so often were the ones that cost more.

I eventually went with Valley Vet because I have ordered horse supplements from them before and they have done good business. I knew the vet had a high markup on everything you get there at the clinic, but I was just shocked by the differences online as well. Ridiculous. I have had a hard time keeping my two cats (plus the stray kitty that adopted ME) on Revolution. It is so expensive at the vet, $16 per dose. I was pretty upset when I realized that it didn't stop ticks either. So I've since gone with a generic version of Frontline Plus that you can get at Walmart for $24/3-pack for cats.

Frontline suddenly quit working on my dog and I have yet to get to the bottom of that. When Interceptor quit being produced, my vet said they just weren't making it anymore, but I found out later that there were health issues/deaths being reported and it was pulled. Heartguard too. My pets have been on all of them at one time or another. The vet is not very forthcoming when it comes to meds and charges too much. Now that my dog's skin cancer tumor has been resolved, I am going to switch vets because I don't trust this one anymore and I am beginning to think that many of them are just in it for the money they can make off of selling meds and requiring unnecessary costly tests before prescribing them.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant. :\ But my point was, look online to buy pet medications. The vet charges too much!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think everything you posted 100% true. While we love think our vet became a vet for their love of animals, it is a business for making money. I use revolution and never had a tick problem, I live in very high tick area. Shop around for best price like everything else.

Latest posts