OK.....Let's get this "puppy" airborne......

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
Mary, I put feathers in my compost all the time, don't have the time to pick them out! Now, Boggy will tell you that they have to be cut in half first, but I skip that part...
Hahahaha....Good one.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Looks pretty good Boggy. Do you plant a fall garden? or are you just getting ready for spring?

I have a compost question for you. My chickens are molting and there are feathers in the poop shavings. Can feathers go into the compost?

Mary
Hey Mary,
Don't have any plans for a fall garden, right now....but I do have plans of moving 2 or 3 of the beds up to the patio for tomatoes, egg plants, onions, ect. that need to be sure to be watered, if we have another drought.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
Mary, I put feathers in my compost all the time, don't have the time to pick them out! Now, Boggy will tell you that they have to be cut in half first, but I skip that part...
Wisher..These aren't grapes! lol. Hope you read this Boggy!

Mary

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Wisher1000 said:
Wisher..These aren't grapes! lol. Hope you read this Boggy!

Mary
LOL.......I ALMOST said that, too, Mary.

fireweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
I have lots of feathers in my coop bedding right now too.
I can't imagine sifting through the soiled bedding to cut them in half though.
The bedding goes out to a debris pile on the property and the chickens scratch and dig through it until it is all aerated and spread out.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fireweed, it is an inside joke. Boggybranch is our resident expert on composting. He once told us that he cuts his grapes in half before adding them to the compost pile. After the loss of the love of his life, it hopefully kept him busy. We love Boggy and his coming back around! Yea Boggy!

Mary

fireweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh I see. LOL. I couldn't picture someone being that nerdy about compost.(OOPS ... I forgot about my good friend Dave) He's THAT nerdy about every detail in his garden, including his compost.
After I read a few responses I kinda figured it was an inside thing.
I know that getting ones fingers into the soil can be very cathartic and soothing to a weary soul.
Sorry for your loss Boggy. I'm new here but read a recent post of yours showing the tattoo memorials.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
fireweed said:
Oh I see. LOL. I couldn't picture someone being that nerdy about compost.(OOPS ... I forgot about my good friend Dave) He's THAT nerdy about every detail in his garden, including his compost.
After I read a few responses I kinda figured it was an inside thing.
I know that getting ones fingers into the soil can be very cathartic and soothing to a weary soul.
Sorry for your loss Boggy. I'm new here but read a recent post of yours showing the tattoo memorials.
Thanks, fw......I do, kinda, go to the extreme, when it comes to composting. The smaller it is, the quicker it finishes. When you make a lot, you need it to "get done".......QUICK. LOL

Latest posts