Okra..In Missouri of all places.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, my first summer back in MO, has shown me that my fellow Missourians do NOT eat okra. I will be growing my own next year. Not even the freezer section carries it, although those tend to be too overripe and gross anyways. But danggit. I really wanted me some stewed okra!! :hit:hit:hit
And NOPE....not at the farmers market either. One lady had a small basket....of beautiful green....TOO LARGE....okras. I didn't even stop to talk to her about them. A perfect okra needs to be the size of a lady's thumb. Any bigger and the spines can choke you.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in MO. and up until this year I grew okra.
This year I didn't grow anything and my old okra customers are having a fit.
Around here I was about the only person that grew the stuff, and I never ate any of what I grew!!!

THANX RICH

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My family & I learned to love okra when we lived in San Diego. When we moved here, I had to grow my own, because the old, blackened, sorry excuse for okra sold in markets locally was inedible. It took me about 10 years, though, to find a variety that could survive & prosper in my climate. I did a lot of experimentation & am still learning ways to improve the yield, but have all the okra I can handle this year. We already put up a year's worth of pickled okra, so now I'm experimenting with dehydration, to see if I can turn okra into snack food. The results thus far show promise.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fried okra is a southern staple. Pickled okra is a delicacy. Yum! @Just-Moxie you will have to plant okra next year. I even can okra, tomatoes, onion and bell peppers together.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like fried okra....but learned the stewed was so much better. Especially topped with the home made croutons I kept on hand.

Screens shot of a video Im putting together now, filmed on August 31st the Okra is 5' tall and growing crazy fast. Next years field will be twice this size, i cant grow it fast enough. Everybody wants it 3" or smaller. This is Clemson spineless....
August Okra.png

Latest posts