okra rotting

small farmer

Sprout
Reaction score
latly me and my dad were picking okra and noticed the blooms were rotting down in the fruit and killing the stem.Our weather has been rainy for the last 4-5 days then the humidity came out in the afternoons is this the cause of our fruit rot and if it is will it cure itself?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like wet rot. It can take a day or so for the okra to push the spent blossom off of the pod and lots of rain/humidity leads to wet rot. The new pods that will develop should be fine, assuming lower humidity. I have been hand picking the spent blooms on my okra this last week because we have had over 6 " of rain since last Sunday. I don't know if that is helping any, but makes me feel better and so far, no rot. Good luck! and :welcome

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
small farmer, :welcome!
I planted okra for the first time this year. I KNOW that you'll do differently next year, and I suggest raised beds for your okra in 2011. Mine are in raised beds, and doing great, even with the massive amounts of rain that we are having.
I do have a suggestion that might help you--mulch with grass clippings or leaves and/or newspaper. Not ONLY does mulch help keep your soil moist during a dry spell, but it can also absorb excess moisture, too. If you are really desperate, go to a farm supply store and buy either 40-pound packages of pine shavings and/or Stall-Dry (several brands with several names). These are intended for absorbing large animal urine in confined places (like a stall,) and they WILL absorb liquid. You will have to remove the wet shavings or pellets wjem they are soaked in order to dry out the soil. Pine shavings are biodegradable but they take a LLLOOONNNGGG time to break down--certainly they are non-toxic. (Stall-dry crumbles and breaks down pretty quickly.)
Hope this helps!! :D
Anyone else...?

small farmer

Sprout
Reaction score
thank u for all ur help and our okra is in raised beds 300 feet of okra under raised beds and my dad to the rotting blooms off thankd for all the help:)