Okra

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I had to replant 7X to get sone up. This year on #2. I soaked them for 5 hours, then planted them into garden that I had made the hole wet, then watered again after covering by 1/2” of dirt. An okra “expert” said at 3/4-1” was too deep. Until last year, okra was always easy to start and I had volunteers from previous crop. Not last 2 years. Also noticing on tomatoes, volunteers are coming up while bought seed just lays there. Same with peppers. Crazy!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I had to replant 7X to get sone up. This year on #2. I soaked them for 5 hours, then planted them into garden that I had made the hole wet, then watered again after covering by 1/2” of dirt. An okra “expert” said at 3/4-1” was too deep. Until last year, okra was always easy to start and I had volunteers from previous crop. Not last 2 years. Also noticing on tomatoes, volunteers are coming up while bought seed just lays there. Same with peppers. Crazy!
I tried growing okra for the first time last year. The seedlings never grew taller than about 6", and very late in the season they each produce one pod. My neighbour has tried to grow okra for several years with similar results. This year I will try again, with seeds of Experimental Farm Network's Bamyeh Falastinia okra. They are just sprouting now in 1 1/2" soil blocks; I think I will move them to starter pots after that so I can keep a close eye on them.

Weird tomato year for me too. Today two more tomato seeds popped, after sitting in a tray for seven weeks. It has become a source of entertainment to see which variety is going to finally germinate. I wonder if the heat wave that we had in April induced dormancy in the seeds perhaps?? That is the only thing I can think of.

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having the same problem with okra. have never had problems till last year and again this year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Misery loves company. Glad to read I’m not the only one.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What? Missing out on the 3rd best thing out of a garden-following peppers & tomatoes
I know! Gardening in tubs has its drawbacks.

One year my okra wasn’t making okra. I read up on it and the answer was to cut a limber switch and whip the leaves. I shredded leaves on the plants and they got busy, bloomed and made okra! Durndest thing I ever saw.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year's okra seedlings; they will go into the garden in a few days.
20230617_182317.jpg

Latest posts