Okra

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Okay--- I will harvest and dry the pods, and then ask for an extra large cast iron pan for Christmas, so I will be able to fry the bountiful crop of okra that I will have next summer. It's worth a shot! ;)
For her May birthday I bought eldest DD a 12 inch Smithyware cast iron skillet. It is top of the line, POLISHED--didn't know that Anybody did that!--and gorgeous coppery that fades with use.
I also bought her the glass lid, chainmail scrubber and seasoning oil.
She has only made one meal with it, so far, but it turned out perfect.
Buy from the manufacturer, NOT on Amazon

Cheaper alternative is Lodge
WM carries this in their stores.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cheaper alternative is Lodge
WM carries this in their stores.

i have one of those plus a flatter griddle which i like because now i can keep the meat in the deeper pan and make pancakes on the griddle and not have to wash the pan. not messing up the griddle with meats also makes it very easy to clean up (rinse the crumbs off with hot water and wipe it dry with some paper towel). the two combined probably cost me all of $40-50 total and i use them often enough that i'm glad i got them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have a selection of cast iron skillets, various sizes, a Dutch Oven, etc. We bought them all CHEAP about 30 years ago.
NONE are polished and I haven't used them much recently, but I did a LOT of cleaning and seasoning over the years that we were CW reenactors.
I don't care for the new ones with ceramic outsides. At some point that will desinigrate, and cast iron should outlive you.
I have learned that American makers of cast iron used to polish them.
As long as your skillet is seasoned you shouldn't have to do ANYthing much to clean them.
THE ONLY thing to remember--don't drop it on your foot!

Latest posts