On a Gardening Note

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW kids me that they aren't much different from cabbage (but she's wrong ;)). Collards, cabbage, kale - they are all the same species but there are differences.

Steve

DS will eat collards and kale just fine, but hates cabbage. I like all 3, but I like collards cooked longer than the rest of the family.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve I think they are all unique even if related much like my kids, lol. I love me some kale wilted with onions and a little balsamic vinegar or as kale chips. Cabbage fried, baked, pickled, coleslaw and sauerkraut. Collards boiled with some kind of smoky pork. All good but all different.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ummm, if'n I was to come up with the answer, I'd say - yes, they taste like cabbage but sort of a cabbage crossed with mustard greens. They take some cooking to be tender.

There's this southern way of preparing them with pork that amounts to hours of cooking! I've actually had mustard greens prepared that way. Really, it was more like "something green that was once mustard greens & pork ..." It certainly isn't my idea of a vegetable dish and probably not very healthful in the diet.

Honestly, kale isn't my favorite of the brassicas and it's a strongly flavored green - not everyone's favorite. Portuguese kale is more like cabbage than the others of that name and it doesn't look much like the other kales. I like it fine and I'm mostly comparing it with some of the Asian greens that I like.

If Portuguese kale is called kale without looking much like the other kales, Russian kale is called kale because it looks like kale without being a kale. It is related to that family (Brassica oleracea) but is a Brassica napus. (sorting Brassica names) There are quite a few leafy vegetables to sort through in that link.

:) Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put a beef bullion cube in the water, some garlic salt, smoked paprika and pepper. I cut them in small pieces and they boil and simmer while the rest of the meal is cooking. Is smoked paprika healthy? I wish I had ordered Portuguese kale seeds. I just saw them on the bottom of the kale page at Baker Creek.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You all do realize with all the seasonings you put with kale to make it edible, you could replace Kale with cardboard? Wouldn't have to grow it and great way to recycle.

& high in fiber!!!!!

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hush your mouth! Blasphemy, greens, kale included are the food for gods. Saute a little onion and garlic in an iron skillet, throw in your kale and let wilt. Sprinkle a good balsamic vinegar and a little sriracha sauce. It don't get better than that!

Okay just kidding. I'm sure the one true God doesn't believe kale or greens as heavenly food. Manna it ain't, lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green Man.JPG
Other than bok choy, that I can grow so much of and have around for quite a few months --- the other veggie I eat most of must be broccoli. I really tire of the 2 of these at times but it takes a lot for me to reach that point, with one or the other.

There will be plenty of kale plants and cabbage to set out, along with the collards and broccoli. Other Asian greens ...

Escarole seed went in today and I'll have those leafy chard varieties that I've been playing with the last couple of years :). One of my favorite leafy vegetables is baby beets. I've enjoyed them since I was a kid! Oh yes, beet plants come red & green. Don't usually have to but I now have orach seed sown in the potato patch. This is the red orach. Yes, and there's orach's cousin spinach seed sown.

Steve :D

Latest posts