On the Barroom Floor

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
one of my mostest favorite songs is often called a Moody Blues song but it really isn't (Forever Autumn)... still good. :)

i have eight of their cds in my collection. i'd have more if i could find them...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
one of my mostest favorite songs is often called a Moody Blues song but it really isn't (Forever Autumn)... still good. :)

i have eight of their cds in my collection. i'd have more if i could find them...
Ditto. There should be a special place here for one of their post-Moodys collaborations... "Blue Jays". :D
Oops, just checked the release date... guess it was a "mid-break-Moodys" collaboration.

I remember a couple dance halls used to have sawdust on their floors, that practice went away not long after I reached adulthood... as did most of the dance halls. Maybe the sawdust was to soften the falls??? :idunno

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember a dance hall/bar that would put cornmeal on the floor, to make it slick. Maybe sawdust was for the same thing?

GypsyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I remember a dance hall/bar that would put cornmeal on the floor, to make it slick. Maybe sawdust was for the same thing?

I'm pretty sure that sawdust and peanut shells are just to soak up spilled beer and other barroom messes. Cornmeal or salt make the dancefloor slick.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmers' Pack was an interesting business, maybe even so back in the day.

Your own livestock could be brought in and the business employees would take carcass all the way to being cut up. Then, the farmers could pack it, themselves - saving $!

That meant wrapping, and we would bring our own wrapping paper, tape and boxes to carry the meat away. We would be given counter space and an employee would carry meat out of refrigeration on trays.

I'd work beside Mom. I had the idea that the sawdust was for sanitation. One thing for sure, if you dropped a short rib or something on the floor, there was no getting that sawdust off. You had to throw it away!

Steve