On this date, 110 years ago . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening with Rabbits said:
If my dad was alive he would be 103 this year. My parents were born in Oklahoma and lived through the Depression. Very interesting stories.
Hoodat knows about my father's Oklahoma birthplace. He was only "old enough to pick cotton" when they left. We have a picture of him as a toddler with a field of stumps behind him . . . it isn't quite as cute as the one you changed your mind on, Gardening with Rabbits.

;) My dad's parents lived for a time in Pushmataha County and then moved to New Mexico. I'm not really sure how much that corner of Oklahoma was affected by the Dust Bowl drought.

His father's family seemed to be following the Trail of Tears - North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma. Children born along the way, married and continued. They were about 35 years late but, considering the circumstances, were probably better off for their tardiness.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is interesting about your grandfather's grandfather. I have a Civil War story about my grandmother's grandfather. When my grandmother was a little girl her mother dressed her in a new blue dress and they traveled to see my grandmother's grandfather. When they got there her grandfather tore the new blue dress off of her and said NEVER to dress anybody in our family in BLUE again.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Gardening with Rabbits said:
If my dad was alive he would be 103 this year. My parents were born in Oklahoma and lived through the Depression. Very interesting stories.
Hoodat knows about my father's Oklahoma birthplace. He was only "old enough to pick cotton" when they left. We have a picture of him as a toddler with a field of stumps behind him . . . it isn't quite as cute as the one you changed your mind on, Gardening with Rabbits.

;) My dad's parents lived for a time in Pushmataha County and then moved to New Mexico. I'm not really sure how much that corner of Oklahoma was affected by the Dust Bowl drought.

His father's family seemed to be following the Trail of Tears - North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma. Children born along the way, married and continued. They were about 35 years late but, considering the circumstances, were probably better off for their tardiness.

Steve
Pushmataha County is close to Carter County where my mother is from and where I was born. My dad was from Muskogee. My husband is from the western part of Oklahoma and he did pick cotton. I asked him about it and I guess just small cotton farmer's will hire people to pick cotton. I heard his cousins talking about it about 20 years ago. Most of my family came from Arkansas and ended up in Oklahoma. Some of my family were in the Oklahoma Land Rush. I took the picture out because I thought it was too big, but will add it back. It is my mother in Oklahoma. She was born in 1915.

9494_mom_with_goat_cart.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like .

. . a whole nuther world .

. . Gardening with Rabbits!

:) Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
That looks like .

. . a whole nuther world .

. . Gardening with Rabbits!

:) Steve
She was born premature at home and weighed 3 pounds. Her grandmother kept her in a box and turned her because if she stayed on one side too long she turned blue. Her grandmother kept her alive.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening with Rabbits,

Kassaundra may be from the same part of the world. Not just Oklahoma but "your" part of the state. (Altho' it sound like you can lay claim to all corners ;).)

Kassaundra has family in Pushmataha County.

Steve :)

Latest posts