One Alaskans greenhouse

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So sorry to hear you and DW have been under the weather. Hope you feel better soon. Feeling ill at this time of year for a gardener in the north is especially difficult, with everything one feels they need to do to 'close up' for the season and complete the storage and harvest. Prayers to you both.

I really like those dark purple potatoes. I like that they have more phytonutrients, and I find they make excellent potato salad. I'm picky with potato varieties, since I really don't like those powdery, floury potatoes. I like the waxy types. You seem to have not much injury to your taters in harvesting either, lucky you! I butchered mine when I dug them up. 🤣

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @heirloomgal for the kind words.

Years ago we learned to cut the tops completely off each hill and drape a plastic cover over them for 2-3 weeks (to toughen the skin) them i dig them with my hands so i can feel better.

They’ll cure for another couple weeks on the garage floor before going into storage. We eat our own potatoes all year.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe we missed our opportunity for crab’s this year. We had 22 last night and they got bit pretty hard. Very early frost for us!
Lifted the beets and potatoes today and as usual the red norlands edged out the magic moly’s ever so slightly. My goal was 100 lbs. from the 3 X 12 ft bed and it looks close. Once curing’s done and i bag them for the cellar; i can get an actual weight.

This is normally a very exciting time of year for us however we have a strong run of the (wuhan, rona, covid) in our area and Ruthy & I been treasuring every moment! Not really, it’s pretty hard to function presently but after a week or so it seems us and a number of others in our area are on the mend.

Still have Parsnips and Carrots to come in but im only gonna do 1 bed at a time tomorrow, im pretty beat today.

in spite of the covid, we haven't lost sight of the blessing that the garden provides and are always eager to offer up a “Thank You Lord”.
Are those black skinned potatoes? I have never seen them before.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@catjac1975, the magic moly’s are very deep purple, thru and thru. They store very well, taste great and produce well. They’re also healthier for you than some other varieties as @heirloomgal touched on earlier.

@pjn thanks for the kind words; sorry im not more entertaining right now! This bug we’re dealing with has our fall activities cramped at the moment. A lot of the fall chores might have to wait till spring if we move into sure enough winter shortly.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975, the magic moly’s are very deep purple, thru and thru. They store very well, taste great and produce well. They’re also healthier for you than some other varieties as @heirloomgal touched on earlier.

@pjn thanks for the kind words; sorry im not more entertaining right now! This bug we’re dealing with has our fall activities cramped at the moment. A lot of the fall chores might have to wait till spring if we move into sure enough winter shortly.

yeah, you don't want to overdo it and get into worse trouble (like pneumonia). keeping moving though in moderation will also help prevent that sort of trouble too. digging yourself out of a serious injury or illness can take some time, be patient and give yourself some leeway if you can. :) plenty of hugs for each other too. :)

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our Daughter saved the day for us by coming out after work and pulling the carrots and parsnips; in the rain/snow mix last evening! She’s a Darling.
With them in the shop where i could work more comfortably, i got them rinsed, topped and spread out to dry a bit. Next day or so they get bagged and go into the cooler for they’re long winter nap!

When i awoke this morning the first thing i see is a moma Moose helping herself to those crabs and her calf was busy mowing the Nasturtiums. It’s sure gonna be wooly around here next spring if we dont get some moderate weather so i can clean up the numerous messes piling up!

Attachments

• C5A4CCED-73A7-48E9-ABDC-5D48F34FBD6C.jpeg
    C5A4CCED-73A7-48E9-ABDC-5D48F34FBD6C.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 100
  • C5A791A6-3460-4F4F-8A9A-3B1B13ABE731.jpeg
    C5A791A6-3460-4F4F-8A9A-3B1B13ABE731.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 104

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday i cut the last few things in the greenhouse and turned off the heat.
celery, first in last out, ironically new seed will go in the ground in another 3 months.
we’ll eat on these cukes another month or so before having to rely on crappy grocery store cukes for the next 6 months.

Attachments

• 4314ECCA-176C-49F5-BEE9-FFBA91FDF9B2.jpeg
    4314ECCA-176C-49F5-BEE9-FFBA91FDF9B2.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 93
  • BBDA1630-31C7-42CA-953B-2BD8ED39F854.jpeg
    BBDA1630-31C7-42CA-953B-2BD8ED39F854.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 90

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday i cut the last few things in the greenhouse and turned off the heat.
celery, first in last out, ironically new seed will go in the ground in another 3 months.
we’ll eat on these cukes another month or so before having to rely on crappy grocery store cukes for the next 6 months.
Wow, nice produce, especially considering the time of year it is. Everything looks like it came out of your garden in the month of July, not October! I cleaned out my greenhouse today too. Needs a pressure wash. It's so nice to move those first plants in, but there is a relaxation that comes with emptying everything out too. Time to reflect on how I might use the greenhouse a little differently next year. I'm very bad with stuffing it too full. Really going to try to grow less in there so it's less cramped and humid. You have a really nice greenhouse @Alasgun, it's almost like an indoor cafe.