One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning I was surprised to find Mushrooms growing under a squash. “My phone” tells me it’s Argaricus which contains over 400 varieties of poisonous and non poisonous varieties!

These will find their way to the compost bin.

It seems like Lettuce and Cilantro take more of my time than most stuff due to keeping the “perpetual” thing going. These lettuce sprouts are my 4th planting, with about a dozen heads on the “ready to eat end”.
I’m changing my arrangement a little bit and will keep the starter flats in the greenhouse until they are ready to up-pot and then move them out to one of the cold frames.

Cilantro is much easier for me to “container garden” than direct seeding in a cold frame and I get more uniform plantings.

*Tomorrow i’ll start the second crop Broccoli to be ready to transplant mid July. Soon as an early crop plant is harvested i pull them and stick a transplant in it’s spot. This has worked for several years now. Another thing i’ve started doing is having 2 plants in each starter cup AND leaving them! At maturity the bed will be “fully absorbed” but it’s never caused any problems and our end take is much greater.

Attachments

• IMG_2708.jpeg
    IMG_2708.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2713.jpeg
    IMG_2713.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Early season progress?~

Brocilli, Kale, Snow peas, the last irrigation manifold was hooked up in the Onion bed. The hoops are in and it’ll get it’s cover in the next couple days.
And some Artichoke’s and Pumpkins needing mowed around!

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 29

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Early season progress?~

Brocilli, Kale, Snow peas, the last irrigation manifold was hooked up in the Onion bed. The hoops are in and it’ll get it’s cover in the next couple days.
And some Artichoke’s and Pumpkins needing mowed around!
Wow! Your garden looks great and it's even a sunny day in AK in the photo!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The other day my Wife wondered if all the Solar activity were seeing this year could be responsible for the unusually high incidence of Sun scald we experienced this spring? I’ve talked to other’s who’ve had issues as well.
I don't believe it takes much of an increase to have a deleterious affect on the foliage. Several years ago i saw where the sun’s ray would refract thru the greenhouse roof and burn plants in the end of the beds, 15 ft. Away! In that instance we could see the concentrated rays much like using a magnifying glass to burn a piece of paper.
My greenhouse is oriented “perfectly toward” the sun’s path and as it traveled across the sky you could see the light concentration move along the beds on the backside. It was easily remedied with the addition of a full shade cloth cover on the back side roof. I believe that also had a positive affect on things growing inside the greenhouse too.

Im also wondering about the EMF some of us are harvesting with our “e~towers”? During this upcoming period of activity i’ll try to remember to get the meter out and see if i notice anything noteworthy?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pretty laid back day, as i procrastinated away the afternoon. I did however, take care of some of the important stuff and recorded it for reference.
The Forget me nots are nice this year and the tomato’s are piling on fruit. Now all we need is some light/ temp to ripen them!

Sometime next week i’ll turn this pile again (3rd time).

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpeg
    IMG_2754.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2752.jpeg
    IMG_2752.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 27

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice haul today! The Asparagus will he added to yesterday's and eaten at supper; the Squash and Beans will be frozen then vacuum sealed and stored.

We‘re a little bit like the Squirrels at this time of year, freezing and storing the overage for Winter.😉

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 21

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jurassic bean plants! The Seychelles look great this year, leaves approaching dinner plate size. I’m hoping the bean wall with produce 20 or more vac bags of frozen beans. We’re starting the 4th bag currently.

Today i went over all bed surfaces (for the 2nd time) with beneficial nematodes. Everything looks fine right now, hopefully the knats are a thing of the past? This time i applied them to both compost bins as well; hoping to “get them” at the source.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts