One Alaskans greenhouse

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i think it is a chance because i suspect @heirloomgal 's climate is similar to ours. :)
I never remember to translate from C to F here, and it just feels so wrong to do it!🤣 I like to think in C because zero is the magic number to avoid, stands out nice and clear on the scale of where danger resides. 32 just doesn't yell DANGER to me loud enough, and frost is my main challenge. My house therm is in C too, which conditions me more to thinking in that scale. DH scoffs at me with utter disdain that I don't move easily back and forth on those scales as he does! lol

How cold does it get where you are @flowerbug ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From Wikipedia

The Fahrenheit scale (/ˈfærənhaɪt/ or /ˈfɑːrənhaɪt/) is a temperature scale based on one proposed in 1724 by the physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736).[1][2] It uses the degree Fahrenheit (symbol: °F) as the unit. Several accounts of how he originally defined his scale exist, but the original paper suggests the lower defining point, 0 °F, was established as the freezing temperature of a solution of brine made from a mixture of water, ice, and ammonium chloride (a salt).[3][4] The other limit established was his best estimate of the average human body temperature, originally set at 90 °F, then 96 °F (about 2.6 °F less than the modern value due to a later redefinition of the scale[3]). However, he noted a middle point of 32 °F, to be set to the temperature of ice water.

My preference would be for the US to join all except two other counties in the world (Myanmar and Liberia) in using the metric system. I worked as an engineer in several countries and with other people that use the metric system, it is easier to use than our English system. In the metric system you multiply or divide by 10. In the English system you use 12 inches per foot or 16 ounces per pound. Which is easier?

The US made an effort to switch over (I think in the 1970's) as an aide to US commerce. It was a total failure, people would not switch from what they are comfortable with. Because the rest of the world uses metric we now have to keep two sets of tools and they do too if they buy many things made here. Why would other countries buy anything made here if that means you have to keep a separate set of tools? That's just one example. Not going metric puts us at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the world.

End of rant.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
From Wikipedia

The Fahrenheit scale (/ˈfærənhaɪt/ or /ˈfɑːrənhaɪt/) is a temperature scale based on one proposed in 1724 by the physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736).[1][2] It uses the degree Fahrenheit (symbol: °F) as the unit. Several accounts of how he originally defined his scale exist, but the original paper suggests the lower defining point, 0 °F, was established as the freezing temperature of a solution of brine made from a mixture of water, ice, and ammonium chloride (a salt).[3][4] The other limit established was his best estimate of the average human body temperature, originally set at 90 °F, then 96 °F (about 2.6 °F less than the modern value due to a later redefinition of the scale[3]). However, he noted a middle point of 32 °F, to be set to the temperature of ice water.

My preference would be for the US to join all except two other counties in the world (Myanmar and Liberia) in using the metric system. I worked as an engineer in several countries and with other people that use the metric system, it is easier to use than our English system. In the metric system you multiply or divide by 10. In the English system you use 12 inches per foot or 16 ounces per pound. Which is easier?

The US made an effort to switch over (I think in the 1970's) as an aide to US commerce. It was a total failure, people would not switch from what they are comfortable with. Because the rest of the world uses metric we now have to keep two sets of tools and they do too if they buy many things made here. Why would other countries buy anything made here if that means you have to keep a separate set of tools? That's just one example. Not going metric puts us at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the world.

End of rant.
Me too. For me its not the base ten, which is just candy on the cake, rather it is that 1 gram of water equals 1mL of water volume. It is that crossover that makes it best for my use. I find myself converting to situations to metric just so I can understand them better.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Boy, we’re really getting off in the woods now And since it’s my thread id like to reign it in a bit, please.
The whole metric versus this or that thing could go on clear till spring.
i will however; join someone else's thread extolling the virtue or lack there of with the metric system.🤓

Woke up this morning to 5F which is plum comfortable. Heck i may resume hauling a few buckets of rabbit poop up to the Garden.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy, we’re really getting off in the woods now And since it’s my thread id like to reign it in a bit, please.
i will however; join someone else's thread extolling the virtue or lack there of with the metric system.🤓

Woke up this morning to 5F which is plum comfortable. Heck i may resume hauling a few buckets of rabbit poop up to the Garden.
Yeah 5f but here we do not have static. Ever pet a cat when you have a static charge? They put claw marks in your ceiling!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Sorry bout that, didn't mean to litter in your thread.

:hide

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal, you’ve never struck me as anything but considerate and weren't the problem. Turning the corner from easy banter about differing local’s weather and opening up a debate on the merits of metric versus our system seem’s a little over the top.
it’s all good; at this time of year we all get a little antse and need something to discuss.

I’d actually be excited to weigh in on; in my case, the lack of support for the metric system; if anyone wants to start a thread. I’d imagine it isn’t even something 99% of the folks give a rip about and therefore wouldnt gain much following.

My newly created soil tamp plugs for 3.5 and 5 inch pots are nearly done, a new gate for the orchard fence is done and i’ll start on the panels that will form the new lettuce bed next week.

Hope everyone enjoy’s they’re Holidays.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago we celebrated my Wife’s birthday and of course this involved some flowers. Well; a little at a time little bits got tossed as thay became ‘LESS ATTRACTIVE’ and today the remainder greeted me lying on the front porch when i came in from rabbit chores. Knowing her intention was for me to toss em, i gathered them up and started off for the trash and about then i had a man thought! At -16F they are quite brittle but will not fade further so i “planted them” in the snow bank right outside the front window.
Now she don’t have to change the water and they will still look good or sort of ok for a while longer. Or until it snows more and i plow again!😳

And incase you’re wondering, yes im bored or tired of winter allready.

Attachments

• 0444D48C-7485-4F14-B1ED-39A763D47DA3.jpeg
    0444D48C-7485-4F14-B1ED-39A763D47DA3.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 96

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Starts are coming along nice. Of that couple dozen tomatoes; i’ll keep 2-3 and the remainder have been donated to the Family Promise fundraiser, held in early April. They will be in gallon size pots by then and some will be blooming! Mostly Celebrity’s and a few Striped German.
A dozen Tango Celery, a dozen Darki Parsley and 6 Self Heal (a medicinal).
And a whole flat of Anise Hyssop which is one of our staple teas.

In another couple weeks the largest portion of our starts will get planted.

Our winter has been long, cold and snowy; we’re nearly done with the long part and the cold is giving up slowly but the snow is showing no sign of letting up And im running out of places to push it!

By next month at this time i’ll be working in the Greenhouse anticipating moving in around the 15th. The snow will still be 5 ft deep along the edges where the roof sheds; but inside it will be a toasty 80F (daytime) and 64F of a night. The first order of business will be to shovel out “the Chilkoot Trail”so we can get up there And to set up a couple Adirondack chairs. There's something magical about eating our morning fruit cup out there in the early spring.

Attachments

• 6A50C021-F400-4AAF-B02B-4EFACA05ABC3.jpeg
    6A50C021-F400-4AAF-B02B-4EFACA05ABC3.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 6897BF9A-7015-4001-AC3C-A4A572EB7A3A.jpeg
    6897BF9A-7015-4001-AC3C-A4A572EB7A3A.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 80
  • CF0723A3-4BDF-4099-B579-54FD14C71AB1.jpeg
    CF0723A3-4BDF-4099-B579-54FD14C71AB1.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Latest posts