One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All the seeding was completed today and that’s a good feeling.

Here’s a couple of my Rodiola with a collection of rain drop’s.
kinda cool.

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2681.jpeg
    IMG_2681.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2682.jpeg
    IMG_2682.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 27

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@catjac1975, you cant imagine! The Moose come thru at all times and if things aren't protected they’re gone. Last Wednesday my wife stepped out to sho’ one off some flowers and it charged her causing her to fall hard and stub all her toes on one foot. The Good Lord kept it at that and she’s fine. Two days ago i had a State Trooper on the porch asking moosie questions and during that conversation i learned the fellow behind us was stomped and is in the hospital (critical condition) with a moose foot print on the back of his head!
The Trooper said he was “heavily concussed”.

Monday there was a moose altercation over in Anchorage and last week a fellow was killed in a moose attack down in Homer.

May, June is calving season and we see a certain amount of this every year.

I’ve posted these pictures previously, but they will give you some idea of the danger. They are big, powerful And surprisingly fast.

Took the first cutting of Stevia this morning. It seems to like this never ending cool / cloudy cycle we are having right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1729.jpeg
    IMG_1729.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2684.jpeg
    IMG_2684.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With a wee bit of time this morning i turned the compost. Thermo showed it to be “in the range” so i flipped it. I was surprised to see this much steam coming off the pile but ambient was 50’ish here today. Took less than 25 min of fork time.

Then up in the garden i noticed this one Asparagus crown sending up 7 spears, all at once. This makes me hopeful that it’ll be a good year for them.

Attachments

• IMG_2687.jpeg
    IMG_2687.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2689.jpeg
    IMG_2689.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2690.jpeg
    IMG_2690.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 26

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With a wee bit of time this morning i turned the compost. Thermo showed it to be “in the range” so i flipped it. I was surprised to see this much steam coming off the pile but ambient was 50’ish here today. Took less than 25 min of fork time.

Then up in the garden i noticed this one Asparagus crown sending up 7 spears, all at once. This makes me hopeful that it’ll be a good year for them.
I'm happy that your asparagus is doing so well.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975, you cant imagine! The Moose come thru at all times and if things aren't protected they’re gone. Last Wednesday my wife stepped out to sho’ one off some flowers and it charged her causing her to fall hard and stub all her toes on one foot. The Good Lord kept it at that and she’s fine. Two days ago i had a State Trooper on the porch asking moosie questions and during that conversation i learned the fellow behind us was stomped and is in the hospital (critical condition) with a moose foot print on the back of his head!

Monday there was a moose altercation over in Anchorage and last week a fellow was killed in a moose attack down in Homer.

I’ve posted these pictures previously, but they will give you some idea of the danger. They are big, powerful And surprisingly fast.

Took the first cutting of Stevia this morning. It seems to like this never ending cool / cloudy cycle we are having right now.
Wow, I didn't realize the moose situation was that intense. I'm surprised we don't have more of that here really, but you never hear of it. When I was walking with the kids the other day on a hike, we saw great big moose prints in the sandy soil. That was a first, I see moose more than I ever see their prints. They were huge prints too! Good thing your wife is okay!

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , I am very happy to hear that your wife is okay. It's sad to hear about your neighbor though. I know moose are extremely dangerous and do pose a very serious threat to humanity. Everyone may think it's the bears, mountain lions and wolves but I truly believe that the moose is the most dangerous of all.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , I am very happy to hear that your wife is okay. It's sad to hear about your neighbor though. I know moose are extremely dangerous and do pose a very serious threat to humanity. Everyone may think it's the bears, mountain lions and wolves but I truly believe that the moose is the most dangerous of all.
I am the wife and I think you meant this for someone else.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

I was sort of joking, but I surely can't imagine. We cry and whine about woodchucks, bunnies and deer.

Last edited:

Latest posts