One of my zucchini is dying. pictures added first post

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i have 7 zucchini in a row and the middle one appears to be dying. Could it have some type of root rot or bore worm?
5806_p6170169.jpg

5806_p6170165.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My reference gives four possible causes of wilting.

1. Squash vine borer - Look for borer holes at the base of the plant with yellowish debris around them.

2. Bacterial wilt - If you try cutting through a stem and a thick ooze is present, it is bacterial wilt.

3. Nematodes - If there is swelling on the roots, there problem is root-knot nematodes.

4. Needs water - If you don't find evidence of the above, then chceck soil moisture. Water if the soil is dry morethan 3" below the surface.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
My reference gives four possible causes of wilting.

1. Squash vine borer - Look for borer holes at the base of the plant with yellowish debris around them.

2. Bacterial wilt - If you try cutting through a stem and a thick ooze is present, it is bacterial wilt.

3. Nematodes - If there is swelling on the roots, there problem is root-knot nematodes.

4. Needs water - If you don't find evidence of the above, then chceck soil moisture. Water if the soil is dry morethan 3" below the surface.
Water we have had lots of. how do I keep the other plants from issues 1-3?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You really need to determine what your problem is before you start to treat. There are several things you can do if it is the squash vine borer. You may not even need to lose that infected plant. You can slit the vine near the entry hole and remove and kill the borer. Close up the tissue and heap moist soil over the wound to encourage healing and root formation. Or you can try to illuminate the silhouette of the borer with a flashlight at night and stick a straight pin through the vine to impale the borer. Repeat every three nigths until you don't find any more borers. Try to find the egg clusters before they hatch and crush them. Encourage secondary rooting by heaping soil over some nodes along the vine to encourage root growth. Inject bt or predatory nematodes with a syringe in the vicinity of the entry holes.

If it is Bacterial wilt, take the plant out and destroy it. Don't compost it. Also, cucumber beetles transmit wilt. You need to fight them.

Nematodes are a little more complicated. I'd strongly suspect the borer or wilt since nematodes are worse in dry weather.

Let us know which one it is.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find it interesting that my reference book did not mention squash bugs as a possible cause. They can also kill squash plants. To me they look like stink bugs. They have that shield-shape, can be brown or grey, with orange and brown stripes on the abdomen. They lay copper colored eggs in rows on the undersides of leaves.

Best controls are to remove the eggs and hand-pick the nymphs and adults. The nymphs are succeptable to sprays but the adults are very difficult to kill with sprays. You can lay boards next to the plants and check under them in the mornings for the bugs. Drop the bugs in soapy water.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In what respect does it appear to be dieing? Wilted leaves? Yellowing leaves? Stalk turning white?

You mention "lots" of water. Any sign of powdery mildew?

Do you grow each them on a small hill? Sometimes one hill will drain water faster than others, and the plant drys out. Other hills retian water, and the plant gets root rot.

Usually they are pretty hardy, so water issues, pest issues, would be what I would be looking for.

Now still with six healthy plants, you shouldn't be short of zucchinis to eat this summer..:lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Though I highly doubt it, I have had a 'random' plant in the middle of other plants die by root damage. I've lost 2 strawberries and one watermelon plant because of a gopher or mole who burrowed under the plant destroying the roots.

You would have to looks for mounds in your dirt or tunnels around the yard for that to be your issue.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
added pictures to the first post.

Babs

Sprout
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have three yellow squash and three zucchini plants. I've gotten two zucchini before those dratted things ate the vine....the borer. Wish I had read this first before I got frustrated and pulled the entire thing out of the ground.

As for yellow squash, they're still there but producing badly. They set out flowers but the flowers die before the babies form....I can't imagine going out there at night and "goring" those pests but I'll do it!

Why do my pickling cukes turn yellow? They taste good but look strange. Am I not harvesting them soon enough?

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gone2seed- Check under the leaves for squash bug eggs. They will be in little clusters and take your fingers and squish them. Squash bug and borers are aparently really common in NC. According to my friend at NC State they are more prevelent here than in other parts of the country.

Ridgerunner- Thank you for the squash vine borer solutions! I can just imagine myself out at night with a flashmlight and a big pin. I lost all of my pumpkins to borer last year. I am being very vigilent this year!