One seed just saved me $8.00

Gladys Rabbit

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I wonder what the ideal climate is for dill because it grows rather luxuriously here where I live on the central coast of California. It seldom gets over 75 degrees or goes much below 50. It's foggy most of the time.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! :rainbow-sun Gladys

I once grew dill and it did great, the only problem was that I didn't have a need for it!

Gladys, where are you located. I'm in Alameda and my weather is just as you described.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow a few pots indoors with my lettuce, hydroponically, for fresh dill. There is a variety called Tetra that is compact.

dill-2.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
. . . I once grew dill and it did great, the only problem was that I didn't have a need for it!

. . .
Well, this was my experience with fennel . . .

Okay Mary! You allow Jack's lettuce to grow a little more. You've got that rinsed and in the salad bowls . . .

Mince the dill and mix with a good oil and vinegar - salad dressing! (Or, you can add your minced dill to a bottled Italian dressing ;).)

Or . . . you like chopped chives with sour cream on a baked potato? Try the dill instead of the chives . . !

Dress up a potato salad - dill on top. Think that no-flavor paprika is a little silly on a deviled egg? Try dill.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well then,

dill AND the chives with the sour cream on the baked potato,

must be real good too!

Steve :p
i'll try that

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee Steve, you make me want to go back to cooking! Now that it's just my husband and I we eat very simply. Maybe a salad and a small piece of meat or pasta. Haven't made a baked potatoe in ages, much less put anything fancy on it. It used to be just butter because I never had any sour cream.

I really need to be a bit more adventureous!

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening really did turn me into a cook! Once you have all those beautiful herbs and veggies- you have to learn what to do with them!