Onions from Seed

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpg
So, I got to thinking, always dangerous and expensive! I planted about 300 candy onions from Dixondale in March hoping to get some decent size bulbs and also use them as spring onions. The largest bulb I got was about 21/2 inches, but they were tasty. I also planted some potato onion seed on March 12 that was developed by a guy named Kelly Winterton, supposed to be a bunching onion of nice size and day neutral. The plants are doing well, and are supposed to develop a single bulb this summer, then the top falls over, pull them and replant the bulb in the fall to overwinter. Next summer II should develop babies all of which grow to a nice size bulb. They are also supposed to be good keepers for a continuous supply of onions. There is a lot of should, if, and supposed in this post, so I guess I'm waiting til next year to find out if the plan works. They are in the bottom left corner of the pic in a planter.
Last week I also ordered more potato onion bulbs from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, along with garlic, evergreen bunching onions, shallots and Egyptian Walking Onions for fall shipping and planting. If I an get all of these situated in the right spot, then I should have onions of some type year round without having buy any. I spent $100 at SESE, so if it works out, it's a pretty cheap price to pay. We'll see....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will especially be interested in those potato onions, @Mauldintiger .

The onion family is fairly broad. There's lots to learn ...

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted potato onions this spring. At least the grasshoppers aren't chomping on them. Haven't dug any yet, but it looks like, judging from the leaves, they have multiplied.