Onions: Just learned something new!

PhoenixAngel429

Leafing Out
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I now know why some of my onions try to form a seed head and some do not. It had been an aggravating mystery for me. The ones that bolt don't keep as long. http://www.harvestwizard.com/ is a blog I've been subscribed to for a while that has lots of gardening info/tips/etc. They said to avoid planting onion sets that are larger than a dime because they are more prone to bolt.

(Insert *bonk myself in the head* here.) :barnie Of course, I've been going through the bin picking out the largest, most plump onion sets because they look healthier and I figured they would make larger onions than the puny ones. Who would have guessed the puny ones were the way to go?

The feedstore lady bagged my onion sets for me this year and I was perturbed because I didn't get to pick out the ones I wanted. Looks like she did me a favor. I've only had a few that bolted this year.

So now you know!! ;) (And if you already knew this, well...I guess I forgive you for not telling me. Ha.)
Thanks for the tip. I pulled out a bunch of sets from the bag when I planted them, some puny and some big. We had a sipndly tomato plant do like that.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That's too funny, Collector! I sure hate to get in the middle of a marital spat. Enjoy your "told ya so!" :lol:
She says she is still going to pick out the nicest looking ones LOL.

Latest posts