Only 3

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Of my chicks were alive when I opened the box. :hit

The other 5 managed to somehow get between the straw and the box and probably got too cold. I have to call back on Monday and they said that they would reship my chicks for me. HOPEFULLY they will have an overhatch because the next available EE hens aren't until AUGUST!! :th

Here's a picture of the remaining 3

537473_10150975234306311_723491310_12429581_1276918310_n.jpg

I'll try and get some more pictures here soon!! I'm going to go spend some time with them. :)

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
very cute..but sorry about your others! I have some Easter Eggers that have just recently started laying and the eggs are beautiful..

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So sorry, I had something similar happen to a box of guinea keets a few years ago. It's rather horrifying opening a box even knowing you'll probably see dead birds by the lack o cheeping.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's rotten. I'm truly sorry for your bad experience. I've never had problems with shipped chicks.

It's been a different year for me too. Other than all kinds of pests, my garden is doing about as well as it ever has, especially this early. I've already canned some green beans and I usually don't do that until August. I already have about 3 gallons of blackberries in the freezer. Blackberries are usually a 4th of July thing around here. It's just an unusual year.

I set 30 chicken eggs and 5 turkey eggs in the incubator about three months ago and only 15 total hatched. Of those, only 9 are still alive. Those chicken eggs were from someone else's Ameraucanas that I picked up locally. They are not show quality but they are blue egg layers. I think I have 4 pullets from the survivors.

Usually I'd have around 25 or more hatch from that many and I hardly ever lose any at all. Sometimes things just happen and you can't explain it. I put 27 of my chicken eggs in the incubator last night, ever hopeful this one will be "normal". Hopefully they will have an over-hatch and you'll get your chicks sooner than you expect.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, shoot- and you were so looking forward to their arrival... I am sure they will replace them. Enjoy your little fluffy butts!
You might check in the farm section of your local craigslist. Many people are looking to sell chicks this time of year...

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They have. Live guarantee, so, they will replace them, its just WHEN will they replace them. I figued I was going to have a dead one when I seen fuzz sticking out one of the holes, but I didn't expect that many to be gone. :( I burried the other in the side yard. :(

My lil girl is going to be so heart broken, but, if we're gonna start raising animals, she's got to get used to it. She did decided that she wants to be in 4-H, and I had contacted our local 4-H rep about clubs, but apparently there are only 8 clubs in the entire county! Seriouly?! Man, I know that the county seat is a transient town, but there ARE other towns here! Just crazy. Oh! And she said there are NO livestock clubs! I'm going to have to find a couple kids and star a poultry club or something. Name it Clucks & Ducks haha! You have to have 5 kids to start a club, so, I just need 3 more. I wonder if that means they don't have any livestock shows at the fair. I've never been to our county fair! How shameful.

I just hope I don't have to wait untl August to get new birds. You would think DOA animals would take priority over new orders? Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I would hate to not get the birds I ordered because someone eses birds died, but, at the same time, shouldn't you take care of them first?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks vfem. Those 3 chicks are little furry balls of chirping energy this morning! LOL