Ordered Frist Trees mailordered

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave up on weeping mullberry and ordered a full size tree that should do well in my zone 5. Illinois everybearing from Burnt Ridge, I also ordered a Evans Bali cherry. After killing 5 cherry trees in my clay I had given up on cherry tree. Burnt Ridge claims the root stock on their cherry trees do well in clay. We will see.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strange how one person's treasure is another's trash. Around here, every third tree seems to be a mulberry. The grands and I harvest them (berries) each year - especially like the white ones - but DH is slowly removing all the starts from the near-house areas. Just a messy tree that pops up everywhere.

Love, Smart Red

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is funny Red I feel the same when I see rose of sharon and burning bush for sale. To me they self seed so bad they are almost weeds. I grew up eating mullberries off a tree in our yard. When I first moved out I wanted nothing like my parents had. Now that I am older I want a lot of things I grew up with.

DigginWithJon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I agree with some trees just re-seed to easily. But some people love the way rose of sharron re-seeds! The tree I notice re-seeding the most is the native redbud. I am constantly pulling up redbud seedlings, they always make it in the strangest spots. (But I love redbud trees) Rose of sharron always reseeds around the base, and a quick scrape with the sharp spade takes care of them. As far as fruit trees go, im opposed of doing that much work.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
It is funny Red I feel the same when I see rose of sharon and burning bush for sale. To me they self seed so bad they are almost weeds. I grew up eating mullberries off a tree in our yard. When I first moved out I wanted nothing like my parents had. Now that I am older I want a lot of things I grew up with.
That's how I see the crepe myrtles around here... they grow out of every ditch! I in fact got the 2 in my yard out of ditch and they're doing wonderfully. The size they are right now go for $300-$400 at a nursery. It blows my mind!

I hope the cherry works for you, you deserve a break after going through 5! :fl