Ordered Grapes!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just ordered a few grape vines from willis orchards since their was a sale going on :ya . I ordered a white grape variety called Perlette and a blue-black grape called Summer Royal. I'm now looking for a pink red grape and i'm thinking of getting Reliance Grapes, anyone ever grew these before?

Thanks!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted them last fall so nothing to report but I see that they are pretty popular on the websites so I took that to be that they probably do well, we'll see.
I bought the reliance-red, marquis-white and concord-blue.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
I planted them last fall so nothing to report but I see that they are pretty popular on the websites so I took that to be that they probably do well, we'll see.
I bought the reliance-red, marquis-white and concord-blue.
Oh ok Thanks simple life! ;)

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

The only one on your list I grow is Perlette. It is about 7 or 8 years old. It is very vigorous and produces a few weeks before my concord or other grapes. However, it is not my kids' favorite. They like the sweeter varieties. I was told it was supposed to taste a little like Thompson Seedless. I am the only one in the family that really likes it. When I have left the clusters on longer to see if it can get any sweeter, it gets a bit brown and blemished on the fruit or it cracks, but the flavor doesn't improve. I am thinking about taking this one out and replacing it with a Jupiter. Maybe Perlette needs more heat to sweeten up better, but it is supposed to grow well in my cool summer area.

The other grapes I grow that I do like include Concord, Fantasy, Flame, and Black Monuka. I also have Canandice and Venus, but these two are too young to produce still, maybe next year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We tried reliance-red last year, by Fall the vine had died. :( I was torn up over it.

My neighbor was kind enough to give us a 5 year old replacement vine of the Thompson Seedless.

'm thrilled to see how it comes out.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardeNerd said:
Hi,

The only one on your list I grow is Perlette. It is about 7 or 8 years old. It is very vigorous and produces a few weeks before my concord or other grapes. However, it is not my kids' favorite. They like the sweeter varieties. I was told it was supposed to taste a little like Thompson Seedless. I am the only one in the family that really likes it. When I have left the clusters on longer to see if it can get any sweeter, it gets a bit brown and blemished on the fruit or it cracks, but the flavor doesn't improve. I am thinking about taking this one out and replacing it with a Jupiter. Maybe Perlette needs more heat to sweeten up better, but it is supposed to grow well in my cool summer area.

The other grapes I grow that I do like include Concord, Fantasy, Flame, and Black Monuka. I also have Canandice and Venus, but these two are too young to produce still, maybe next year.
The reason i chose this variety is because it has a muscat flavor and because its something different, i know Thompson grapes are the usual green grape found in supermarkets, so at least this one is unique and can't be found in stores.

According to this link, perlette grapes require less heat to ripen than Thompson. And perlette grapes have a wider climate range. They ripen around July which is pretty early for grapes.

http://www.groworganic.com/item_FV070_Perlette_Grape_Vine_each.html?welcome=T&theses=7031168

I don't know i'm pretty confident in this variety i hope it does well, i'm giving it a try.

Latest posts